Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aight my cooling fan doesnt work its plugged in and everything. My car has also overheated a few times does anyone know if there could be a loose connection or is there a relay fuse for it

·
Registered
435 Posts
im having the same problem, its weird, it will get hot but once i get going fast and stuff the temp goes down, only with my heat blowing full blast. Ive checked and my fans never turn on, reguardless of how hot the car is

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it sucks cuz my car gets so hot and its pretty hot right now and feeling the heat of the car sucks
do u kno if theres a fuse for the fan and where its located

·
Registered
121 Posts
u can hot wire your fan....some integra fans take a while to kick on and then it seems so short....best thing is to get it normal operating temp and then pop ur hood and watch ur fan while feathering the throttle cable....if ur temp goes up and/or boiling occurs there is a serious problem....dont worry though because it is pretty common because when summer starts rolling around is usually when ull notice overheating problems....the fan could have been out for a while....rarely will you see a fan out though....some integras have up to three temp sensors that if one fails the fan will not kick on...an easy check for the thermostat is to get you motor warm...and feel the top radiator hose and them feel the bottom raditator hose if one of these is cold then the thermostat has yet to open....continue to let the motor get hot and then when it is above normal operating temperature feel the hoses again....if one is cold then it is definately a thermostat or air bubble in the coolant line....if both hoses are warm or hot then carefully feel the radiator...if u feel a cold region on the radiator and both hoses are hot then you can have a possible clogged radiator which is common if youve ever used any kind of radiator sealant....if none of these apply...then check you fan by either the paper clip method or by unplugging the first plug from the radiator fan...might be green....and you will see two tabs....run two wires from the positive and negative of your battery...dont worry about which tab to put the positive or negative on...it wont hurt anything only change the direction of the fan ***NOTE: make sure fan is blowing towards engine and not into the radiator.*** If the fan works then u can rig up a temporary switch using the postive and negative wire until you get the sensor(s) replaced. This is only a temporary switch though because u can burn out ur motor on the fan if u leave it on constantly....or drain ur battery if left one when u park car (pretty embarassing)....

let us know if u have anymore questions....
Josh Landrum
Untamed Imports
www.myspace.com/untamedimports

Also Check Out This Thread.....
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=170667&SearchPagePosition=1&search=UntamedImports&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Author&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks a lot ill try some of that stuff out, cuz im sick of sweating my ass of everywhere i go.

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
You can start by replacing your fan switch..

·
Registered
77 Posts
UntamedImports on May/18/06 said:
u can hot wire your fan....some integra fans take a while to kick on and then it seems so short....best thing is to get it normal operating temp and then pop ur hood and watch ur fan while feathering the throttle cable....if ur temp goes up and/or boiling occurs there is a serious problem....dont worry though because it is pretty common because when summer starts rolling around is usually when ull notice overheating problems....the fan could have been out for a while....rarely will you see a fan out though....some integras have up to three temp sensors that if one fails the fan will not kick on...an easy check for the thermostat is to get you motor warm...and feel the top radiator hose and them feel the bottom raditator hose if one of these is cold then the thermostat has yet to open....continue to let the motor get hot and then when it is above normal operating temperature feel the hoses again....if one is cold then it is definately a thermostat or air bubble in the coolant line....if both hoses are warm or hot then carefully feel the radiator...if u feel a cold region on the radiator and both hoses are hot then you can have a possible clogged radiator which is common if youve ever used any kind of radiator sealant....if none of these apply...then check you fan by either the paper clip method or by unplugging the first plug from the radiator fan...might be green....and you will see two tabs....run two wires from the positive and negative of your battery...dont worry about which tab to put the positive or negative on...it wont hurt anything only change the direction of the fan ***NOTE: make sure fan is blowing towards engine and not into the radiator.*** If the fan works then u can rig up a temporary switch using the postive and negative wire until you get the sensor(s) replaced. This is only a temporary switch though because u can burn out ur motor on the fan if u leave it on constantly....or drain ur battery if left one when u park car (pretty embarassing)....

Josh Landrum
Untamed Imports

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=170667&SearchPagePosition=1&search=UntamedImports&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Author&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search
it thought it was the other way around...like if a sensor fails by default it runs in the safe mode to protect it self from over heating by turning the fans on? maybe im wrong but thats how i thought it was...

dont replace the switch jsut yet... you want to make sure its your switch/relay.
make sure you replace the right part instead of throwing parts at it... you can simply test components by bypassing them (jumper wire). it component works after jumping item then most likely thats the cause.

peace

·
Registered
121 Posts
ludevtec4thgen on May/18/06 said:
Quote: UntamedImports on May/18/06u can hot wire your fan....some integra fans take a while to kick on and then it seems so short....best thing is to get it normal operating temp and then pop ur hood and watch ur fan while feathering the throttle cable....if ur temp goes up and/or boiling occurs there is a serious problem....dont worry though because it is pretty common because when summer starts rolling around is usually when ull notice overheating problems....the fan could have been out for a while....rarely will you see a fan out though....some integras have up to three temp sensors that if one fails the fan will not kick on...an easy check for the thermostat is to get you motor warm...and feel the top radiator hose and them feel the bottom raditator hose if one of these is cold then the thermostat has yet to open....continue to let the motor get hot and then when it is above normal operating temperature feel the hoses again....if one is cold then it is definately a thermostat or air bubble in the coolant line....if both hoses are warm or hot then carefully feel the radiator...if u feel a cold region on the radiator and both hoses are hot then you can have a possible clogged radiator which is common if youve ever used any kind of radiator sealant....if none of these apply...then check you fan by either the paper clip method or by unplugging the first plug from the radiator fan...might be green....and you will see two tabs....run two wires from the positive and negative of your battery...dont worry about which tab to put the positive or negative on...it wont hurt anything only change the direction of the fan ***NOTE: make sure fan is blowing towards engine and not into the radiator.*** If the fan works then u can rig up a temporary switch using the postive and negative wire until you get the sensor(s) replaced. This is only a temporary switch though because u can burn out ur motor on the fan if u leave it on constantly....or drain ur battery if left one when u park car (pretty embarassing)....
Josh Landrum
Untamed Imports

it thought it was the other way around...like if a sensor fails by default it runs in the safe mode to protect it self from over heating by turning the fans on? maybe im wrong but thats how i thought it was...

dont replace the switch jsut yet... you want to make sure its your switch/relay.
make sure you replace the right part instead of throwing parts at it... you can simply test components by bypassing them (jumper wire). it component works after jumping item then most likely thats the cause.

peace
no once your sensor fails the fans dont know when to turn on. but your right always test the fan first by jumping wires.

·
Registered
435 Posts
how do you replace a relay? do they just pull out? also where is the fan switch located?

Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
arite i just replaced the relay and the fan still wont come on, if i use a paper clip to connect the two terminals that plug in near the thermostat the fan comes on, where do i go from there? do i have like a clog or a sensor messed up in my bottom radiator hose or sumthing?

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
771 Posts
awesome i just got over this problem!!!!!

I put a new tranny in my car a while ago and had to take the rad out to do it, so i had to drain it.

After i was done i put the rad back in, filled it back up and closed the cap all that way. <<i know i know, dont start flaming yet. Anyways i started the car and it was fine, drove it around and it was fine, then one day like 3 days after i had put the rad back in it over heated. i was pissed so i pulled over and looked at it, the fans wernt working, i didnt know how to fix it. i have a bad temper so i got in the car and reved it for some reason, the temp went down to opperatong temp, i was stumped. so i drove home and everytime the temp went up i reved the car to 4-6k and the temp would go down. so i got home and read on this site about how to bleed a car without a bleeder. i did that and the problem didnt go away. so i posted my problem, and i was told to replace the thermostat.

when i replaced it i also put new fluid in and blead it the proper way! instantly everythign started working, fans and all.

i believe the reason this happens is because theres air in the hoses that reached the thermostat, but not at the correct temp for the thermo to open and allow coolent in. this is why the car overheats.

go out to your car and turn it on. let it run fr about 5 min and feel to see if the bottom hose from the rad is hot. if its colder then the top, you'll be needing a new thermo!!

when you go buy a thermostat get a Fail Safe, not a duralast piece of ****. this way if the Fail Safe actually fails, it fails open so your car wont overheat!

good luck!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Letno5 on May/20/06 said:
how do you replace a relay? do they just pull out? also where is the fan switch located?

Thanks
The fan switch is located on the thermostat and has a plastic plug attached to it. I had the same problem and I replaced the thermostat and that still didn't help so I got a new fn switch from the dealer and put it in and my fans started working again. Check your thermostat first b/c that is cheaper then the fan switch.

·
Registered
435 Posts
alright, thanks

what part would i need to get for the switch? like the plug that plugs into the thermostat or the piece that the plug plugs into? it looks like its a screw in piece

·
Registered
2 Posts
awesome i just got over this problem!!!!!

I put a new tranny in my car a while ago and had to take the rad out to do it, so i had to drain it.

After i was done i put the rad back in, filled it back up and closed the cap all that way. <<i know i know, dont start flaming yet. Anyways i started the car and it was fine, drove it around and it was fine, then one day like 3 days after i had put the rad back in it over heated. i was pissed so i pulled over and looked at it, the fans wernt working, i didnt know how to fix it. i have a bad temper so i got in the car and reved it for some reason, the temp went down to opperatong temp, i was stumped. so i drove home and everytime the temp went up i reved the car to 4-6k and the temp would go down. so i got home and read on this site about how to bleed a car without a bleeder. i did that and the problem didnt go away. so i posted my problem, and i was told to replace the thermostat.

when i replaced it i also put new fluid in and blead it the proper way! instantly everythign started working, fans and all.

i believe the reason this happens is because theres air in the hoses that reached the thermostat, but not at the correct temp for the thermo to open and allow coolent in. this is why the car overheats.

go out to your car and turn it on. let it run fr about 5 min and feel to see if the bottom hose from the rad is hot. if its colder then the top, you'll be needing a new thermo!!

when you go buy a thermostat get a Fail Safe, not a duralast piece of ****. this way if the Fail Safe actually fails, it fails open so your car wont overheat!

good luck!!
Im also having the same problem and i thought it was a clog so i flushed the radiator but it was good then when i check the fuse i saw that it was burnt so i replaced it, once i did that everything started working the rad fan and ac fan came back on but after a day or 2 the fuse burnt again so now my problem is trying to figure out whats shortening the fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem and my ac also stopped working theres no power at all but i saw that the fuse 7.5 was burnt so i replace it once i did that everything started working rad fan and ac came back on but after a day or 2 the fuse burnt again so now my problem is trying to figure out whats shortening out the fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ect sensor malfunction. Bought a 97 ls few months back and noticed that my coolant fan was constantly running upon inspection I noticed a sensor(I believe is the ect sensor) which had the gray clip connector still attached but the 2 wires coming from the connector we're cut and both wire ends were wired together like this: wiring harness end- black wire~green wire twisted together: sensor/connector end- black wire~green wire twisted together. I was not throwing an mil/cel at all and I know the indicator light functions properly cause if you do anything such as disconnect any sort of sensor ect it'll throw a mil/cel at ya petty much immediately. So because I'm kinda new at working on cars(sport bike owner my entire life until recently) I figured the smart thing would be to require them how they should be so I wired black to black and green to green. Now my fan won't come on no matter what so ever, even if I was driving on the sun. So what exactly were those cut wires that were cross connected like that on both sides doing, and why won't my coolant fan kick on now? And how do I correct this problem and final question until it is corrected should I reverse what I have done and recross wire the 2 ends of the wires like they were for now. So that my fan will at least come back on for the time being until fixed, or what should I do? Sorry for the long explanation and if i am posting this incorrectly. But if anyone has any insight to what's going on with my sweet ride i would greatly appreciate any help the forum pros could hook me up with. Thanks in advance. T-I

1 - 18 of 18 Posts