Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an crazy idea that I think has been done before, well instead of purchasing a mugen thermostat like I was planning to because my dual core cannot handle extreme driving i was thinking about taking my stock thermostat and drilling little holes on the base of it to still allow little coolant to flow through it the base of the thermostat. Anyone have input on this idea?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i'm turboed and hard driving like i said the del sol dual core can't handle it and I need more cooling so I thought about this but before I invest into an overpriced thermostat I was wondering if this will work.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have drilled coolant bypass holes in my thermostats before....there are consequences ( such as a longer warmup, and inchreased richness), that being said...
you dont need to do it.

Spend 20 minutes cleaning out your radiator fins with simple green and a toothbrush instead.
After that take a fin comb to it, and make sure its in good shape. If you are really feeling frisky, you could wash the inside of the radiator really well with simple green ( out of the car of course), and flush it really well.
I think that you would be very surprised to find that it would cool just fine after that.
Dont forget to double check your rad. cap, if its leaking pressure you wont cool worth a damn.

Im boosted, and for now I just use the old Civic half-rad. and I never come close to too much of a temp/heat load, it's all about maintaining the radiator and cooling components.

If you are set on drilling a bypass hole in the thermostat
do it at the top, and make sure you dont go bigger than about 3/32.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.