Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I've got a problem. As I posted before I had sucked water into my engine, I tore every thing apart, let it dry and changed the oil. Now she is back together and the car won't even turn over. Any suggestions? TIA

David

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Dave, did you remove the plugs and try to turn it over? If you didnt theres still probably water in the cylinders which being uncompressable, is going to be stopping that engine from going anywhere. If you havent already take out the plugs and turn her over. If the engine turns over then you have water in there and you'll have to figure out the best way to get it out. Probably the most professional method is to remove the head and do it that way, but the lazy mans approach is as such: remove the plugs, turn it over until 2 cylinders hit TDC, get some kind of hand pump, turkey baster or sumthin, suck out all the water you can from those 2, turn it over until the other 2 get to TDC, and repeat. Then you'll want to let the cylinders dry out, hell you could even try pointing a hair drier down there. If non of this works and the car wont start, no starter clicking or anything, its an electrical problem that really shouldnt be that big of a deal, alot better than a mechnical problem. If the engine still wont turn over with the cylinders cleared of fluid, and the starter solonoid is clicking you're motors in serious trouble, and you've done some (probably expensive) damage. Also, if you're starter is clicking and the motor wont turn over, you'd be advised to go ahead and check battery charge, never know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If the water has been in there that long, wouldn't it have already started to rust and seize the cylinders to the wall br1t1shguy?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Brian_Hanspard on Sep/22/02 said:
If the water has been in there that long, wouldn't it have already started to rust and seize the cylinders to the wall br1t1shguy?
not necessarily. in an enclosed environment like that, it would prob take much longer to oxidize, plus, its oiled also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, here is the status as of right now. The battery was dead, so I'm using my room mate's battery. The solenoid is clicking, but the starter isn't engaging. I went to O'Reilys and they told me the starter is a dealer only item, but I'm hoping the starter is ok. The cylinders don't have any more water in them as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure they are ok. I'm taking a break for lunch and to gather my thoughts. Not 100% sure where to go from here. I really appreciate everyone's input. Keep it coming. Thanks.

David

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
starters are easy to take off and install. borrow a friends. i got it down to 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off when i had to check mine. and you can test the starter once you take it off by pluggin up with jumper cables to your battery. if you know what i mean. if you don't just post in a few minutes and i can im you details for removal and everything

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
well if you pull the starter out. only takes a few minutes hook it up to the battery. i don't exactly remember 100% its been a while but use jumpers from battery. put positive on positive starter post and then use negative and touch the starter anywhere and it should work. if not try with negative on starter and touch with positive. i had ot play around a lil with mine to figure it which way it was but now i forget exactly. it won't cause damage though but might want to unplug positive batter cable just in case.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Hmm, well if I were you I would be hoping that the starter isnt alright, because if the starters fine and its getting power it means that theres something locking you're engine together, and that could end up being alot more expensive than a starter...

P.S. The guy that said try and pop start it is right. If you can find a hill to get it rolling down, or get it going fast enough down a straight (have a friend gently push you with another car, put pillows on the bumpers or something) and you cant get the motor to rotate you know you're in it deep...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you haven't tried pop-starting it, do that. And if you haven't thought to pop-start it, I'd guess and say that you don't have any idea what you're doing. Maybe you should drop your car off at a mechanic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alas, I am having it towed to the dealership tomorrow. I'm hoping my insurance will cover it under my comprehensive coverage. What a pain in the a$$ this is turning into. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

David

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Is anyone keeping track of how many hydro lock victims we have had this year? I think it's important - perhaps you'all should file a suit against AEM... I happen to think that their CIA sucks! Having to worry about large puddles.... gesh....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it definately didn't take the 16 inches of water that they claimed it did. The water level was only about 6 inches deep when it happened. I think I might change over to the Comptech Ice Box in the near future after this incident.

David

·
Registered
123 Posts
6 inches? are u serious? i've went through larger puddles of water than that and nothing happened, but one thing that I do before going through that kind of water is to not accelerate at all and just let the car roll. I only went through 8 or 9 inches of water once or twice. My car isnt' lowered though, maybe yours is. Also I have an LS, which I think maybe higher off the ground.

joe

knock on wood that it doesn't happen to me, good luck bud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts