Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im looking into purchasing the autopower rollbar, and some harness. (already have some sparcos) and looking at saferacer.com they had 2 choices of 6 point harnesses.
Pro Series 6pt. Camlock Harness Set
Here
and then
Pro Series 6pt H-Type Camlock Harness Set
Here
The car will be used in autox and HPDE. so i want something that is legal for them
which harnesses would be best and what is the difference between the 2?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
when you sell your sparcos, let me know as i could use a pair. having no airbags makes me feel the sad

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
they are just different version of a camlock (all belts unlock at the same time). There are variations in the type of camlock used, as well as the pull up/down straps. Just make sure you get harnesses that have the correct ends for use with a cage/bar, not bolt in type.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Rules for rollbars, cages, and harnesses can be very strict, especially for time trial, PDX, and HPDE events run by SCCA or NASA. Make sure what you want to do is legal before you spend a lot of money and find you can't race at all.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
that is correct, different sanctioning bodies require different things. Are you doing this for competition of just for HPDE/auto-x work? If it's just for track days, you won't be restricted. Cages/bars aren't required in *most* areas just for HPDE driving so get what functions safely, and fits your budget....in that order.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
those look nice, have you looked into Schroth harness'? their really nice, about that price range, street legal. and really well made and designed. are you planning on mounting the harness' to the floor or cage?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Its unclear from your OP if "sparcos" is refering to seats or harnesses. If the answer is the later, I would recommend getting a bucket to complement the harness.

The S&M is a great write up....used the same one when installing my harnesses.

FWIW: I use the camlock style buckle and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are using 3 point harnesses you want then mounted as high as possible. the optimal level is no less then 12 degress down from your shoulders I believe. I will would attach the shoulder mount point to the upper seatbelt in the rear. Take the bolt out and put the harness mounting eyehole in there and put it back in. If the harness is mounted to low it will pin you down and possibly brake your back in an accident.

I have done NASA HPDE for about 2 years now. I have heard that 3 point harnesses are legal and have looked at the rules many times and what I have understood is. In HPDE you can have expired harnesses, any kinda of harness is acceptable (3, 4, 5, 6 point). Of course the tech inspector is where the dollar stops and many of the higher ups in the Midwest region don't like 3 points. But two of my friends have been running them as long or longer then I have so........

If you really have Sparco seats (good ones not crap ones) then I would go with the H type as it helps to keep the shoulder straps together where they need to be to work properly. As I have told many people before these parts are all part of a Saftey System. This system only functions at its best when all the parts are there. Those parts being Helmet, harness, seat, Roll bar (sometimes non SRS wheel as well). Be sure that you have all the parts and they are as correctly to YOUR and the tech inspectors satisfation. Get quality safty equipment and take care of it, it will save your life one day!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Ughh, 3pt harnesses......[shutter]

Buckling any type of harness into the rear seatbelt area / chassis is a terrible idea. For one, it allows the belts to stretch alot if you were to get in an accident. For two, it places a ToN of compression on your spine if/when you get into a frontal crash.

I don't understand how people will spend thousands on their engine and suspension but cheap out....and I mean really cheap out on their safety equipment.
Rollbars can be had for $350
G-force CURRENT belts can be had for $100
Used racing with 5 years or less of use can be had for $200-$400

If you're going to alter the stock safety equipment, do it right.

-BlueTeg, who's spent more on his safety gear ($2250) than he has on his suspensions mods ($850)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts