Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from on electronics shop looking around for a new car alarm. I was brainwashed that Compustar was the best-of-the-best alarm material. However, at this shop i went to, the salesman was giving Vader (another line from Clifford) a real big boost and hardly had anything good to say about Compustar. Has anybody heard of this Vader alarm that they'd like to share?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Clifford = been around almost longer than anyone in the alarm business (now owned by DEI, which is a good thing)

Compustar = "bells and whistles" that don't equal a safe car..

regardless, alarm installation quality means everything no matter what brand you are looking at

·
Registered
349 Posts
MorningZ:
CompuSTAR is an awsome alarm, it's not just bells and whistles... not get me wrong DEI is good stuff too... but don't put down CompuSTAR. It's the best-of-the-best for alarm systems!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree with kermit...my computstar has saved me once already....i just love it

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
i'm trying to figure out how "remote start" and "pager remote" saves a car more than any well-installed alarm system...

brand doesn't matter for the most part, your Compustar is no different

·
Registered
155 Posts
no brand does not matter, and i agree with you, a well installed alarm can do its job, but as ive stated before not only does the pager page you if your car has been touched or something, but usually these types of alarms have a longer range, and plust i like the remote car start feature on a 5 speed

·
Registered
804 Posts
all i have to say is... don't get the Compustar Spread Spectrum..... DoN"T!!!!!...

i have experience with both the SS and the FM... FM all the way, baby...

As for what Z said... i have no complaints with Compustar FM.. i love it.. but i don't have good alarm experience as much as installers....

The simpless tricks can be as good as security as the most ritzy stuff..

·
Registered
188 Posts
hey dangger i got the Compustar FM and was actually thinking of upgrading to the SS version. Why do you say not to get SS???

·
Registered
804 Posts
SS is HORRIBLE!!! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!...both I and my friend returned it and "downgraded" to the FM... we didn't even want our difference back.. we just wanted the reliable FM model... out of my whole group of friends... there is a total of 6 Compustar FM systems with no complaints.

The SS Claims 1.25 miles.... from remote to the car it'll connect at most at .5miles... and paging from car to remote it won't even reach .25.... i can see my car and hear the chirps and i will STILL not get the pages back... the SS model is VERY picky with where the antenna goes.. The best place is not at the center top of your windshield like all the others. I actually see no good reason to have all that so-called ranged greater then .25miles. If you recieve a page at 1.25miles... it's only gonna make you worry more... oh yea... like i said... arming your car at 1 mile away and not recieving a confirmation page is the scariest thing also... sometimes you can accidently hit the disarm button and it'll unlock your doors... and you wouldn't even know about it, cause it didn't page you back... i never have that problem with the FM.. and you can always hit the Query button and make sure your car is there and Locked.. the only thing different with SS and FM is the range... the alarm brain is actually the same exact system... they only change out the antenna and the remote.. which i might add is bigger then a cellphone they have these days.

A tear almost rolled down my cheek when i got my CompuStar FM installed and that god forsaken SS out of my car.

I must sound real dumb and incoherent.. but hey... i just finished 4 years of Computer Engineering... i deserve to be FOB and incoherent.

·
Registered
188 Posts
my range on the FM is not that great sometimes; that was why I was thinking of upgrading to the SS. DO you mind telling me where you put your antenna for the FM? Maybe it is the location of my antenna.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Or Maybe he did the install himself? I haven't really heard too many complaints on the Compustar 2WSS..and that is what I plan to install on my car very soon. If you have any links to some people that have more issues..I would love to read it. It also has a lot to do with where you live. Spread Spectrum technology doesn't work well in a busy city. I'm sure the claimed range works as advertised in a rural area.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
I think any alarm sucks, you need much more than an alarm to sleep at night, whats the diff what brand it is, I have a compustar and I'm sure its no better or worse then the rest.

they all have sensors and make noise, but thats not enough these days.

you need imobilizers, backup batt, autolock, clubs, pretty much anything and everything you can use at the same time, layer your security, and then dont forget if they want it, they will just use a tow truck....

oh and yea the SS is worse then the FM when it comes to compustar, its supposed to have better range, but the FM is just more reliable, and then again all these pagers dont work well at all when you're in a city like NY with lots of buildings and other factors that distort the reception on the paging system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts