Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the Comptech ECU upgrade?
A Hondata Stage 2 OBD I conversion would cost over $1000 to install/tune. Dyno tuning the OBD II would be at least the same for one burn - apparently only Hondata can do this, and they don't want to. They also don't want to provide a generic OBD II program. I understand all the disadvantages to generic programs. I don't have a bunch of money and figured that, although the Comptech isn't the best solution performance wise, it is better than the stock ECU for my current mods.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
http://www.technosquareinc.com/index.html

you are in CA. I don't know if you live near Torrance but you may want to check out Techtom's US distributor. Techtom is the JDM OEM ECU EPROM supplier. They do all aftermarket ECU's for JDM cars. Technosquare sells their reprogrammable OBD2 chips and also does ECU custom reprogramming on a dyno with an emulator before they burn the final program. So they do several iterations with wideband sensor tuning.

Other options include contacting Skunk2 or Importbuilders.com. In CA you have many options to have a custom ECU reprogramming on the dyno, unlike other people in different states.

·
Registered
306 Posts
kelly: hondata would be 1000 to install and tune..? are you sure about that..?

a stage 2 would cost 295... so it's gonna cost 700 to install and tune it..?

just wondering how you got your figures..

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
http://ericksracing.com/ecuobd2.htm

if you are going to Torrance anyway also check out what Erick's Racing has to offer

there's also R&D in Gardena, CA but I get the impression they just tune and don't do ECU's but you can ask.

http://www.rddyno.com/main/dyno.html

I'm sure these will be competitive in cost and performance to the best guess Comptech ECU.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
BTW, this is the guy I go to for ECU tuning/ reprogramming in Toronto. He does Techtom ECU's and that's how I know they're probably the best way to go when it comes to Japanese cars. If you can't get a good deal locally, then Yoshio can certainly burn a best guess chip program based on your engine package. He has a lot racing experience burning programs for Hondas and is familiar with the combinations. He tends to be conservative and therefore runs his fuel maps a little richer than the Hondata tuning folks.

Yoshio

the prices are in Canadian dollars so you have to multiply by 0.65 to get the US cost.

The other option I could think of was Jeff Schaefer at Importbuilders.com in Fullerton, CA.

Importbuilders

He's young but very knowledgeable in terms of tuning. He's done quite a few Hondata programs customised to the customer's engine package.If you are willing to buy a Hondata stage 2 and have him burn a chip on his dyno with your car, then you at least would have a full fledged custom chip for your package now and if you revise the package, you can order a stage 4 emulator and chip burner and modify his original chip using a dyno with a wideband later.

That to me, would be a cost-effective longterm option.

So it really depends on your budget and needs right now: risk a best guess ECU for around $300 and later pay for another chip if you add more modifications. Or pay for a modifiable system that can grow as you add newer mods but pay more up front now ($700). If you go even with the Comptech best guess ECU, you may end up paying $700 total anyway in the long run, if you need a second OBD2 modified chip.

Just some thoughts to throw out for your consideration. I've been in your shoes. I've done 2 OBD2 ECU burns already....the Hondata stage 4 is looking pretty good to me as a longterm investment. It really also depends on how hardcore you plan to become.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts