Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the 2. I've got an SE so which one would benefit me more?

I was here so i decided to post it...i'll swing on by the Comptech forum and ask Mike B. now

Thanks

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
They mean exactly as their names imply. With the catback you have an exhaust that bolts on from the cat back. The axle back bolts on at the rear axle so it is just a muffler.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
i'd like to add in, you wont see anything from an axle-back compared to a cat-back, in terms of gains.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, here's what happened, i tried to get a quote for a comptech exhaust. To my understanding, I thought there was one 1 exhaust they offered for certain models. So mine being an SE I thought the person would give me a price for an exhaust for the SE, but no, he asked me which one? Are there any other exhausts Comptech makes?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Exhaust system:
Header
Cat
B-piping
muffler (aka axle back section)

With the cat-back you've effectively knocked off 2 out of the four components. With the axle back, you've only taken care of one. Check out the articles as to why its important to swap all four rather than just a few here and there. For the best possible gains you'll need to swap all of them, otherwise you're engine will still be choking.

PS. keep in mind that you don't have to get them all at once.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
if you want performance gain, go with the catback. if you just want a louder exhaust than stock, go with the axle back. but then, if you just want a louder exhaust, just take off your muffler. you'll get pulled over by cops and get tickets but you'll look cool doing it.

not to be an ass, but if you don't know the difference between a cat-back and an axle-back, perhaps you should wait until you learn about cars before you go out and spend your hard earned money...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
spongybandaids on Sep/11/02 said:
okay, here's what happened, i tried to get a quote for a comptech exhaust. To my understanding, I thought there was one 1 exhaust they offered for certain models. So mine being an SE I thought the person would give me a price for an exhaust for the SE, but no, he asked me which one? Are there any other exhausts Comptech makes?
No they only make one for the integra. 2.25"
The cat-back consists of two pieces, the axle-back + b-piping.
The axleback.....this is self explanatory but its only the muffler and the short amount of piping that extends to the end of the b-piping.

hope this clears things up for you.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
dragontegz on Sep/11/02 said:
not to be an ass, but if you don't know the difference between a cat-back and an axle-back, perhaps you should wait until you learn about cars before you go out and spend your hard earned money...
I don't think that you're being an ass. Just giving some sound advice and helping the guy to not blow his hard earned money.

IMO, this is far more constructive than what people normally do, which is just chime in w/ the exhaust that they have. "it sounds like stock at idle, but has a nice deep tone at WOT"

·
Registered
176 Posts
People that have the comptechs cat-back, in your opinion is it worth the cash spent? SurferX how much did you pay for your Hightech exhaust setup? does hightech only do custom exhaust setups or do they have a line of exhaust systems? I was considering the comptech or hightech after i get my gs/vtec running. I want something "stock-like" sounding/looking but with proven performance numbers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
dragontegz on Sep/11/02 said:
if you want performance gain, go with the catback. if you just want a louder exhaust than stock, go with the axle back. but then, if you just want a louder exhaust, just take off your muffler. you'll get pulled over by cops and get tickets but you'll look cool doing it.
i heard the comptech catback was quiet is this true?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, i appreciate all your comments. But i still don't understand why the guy asked me which exhaust i wanted to be quoted on if there is one 1 they make. Anywho, i'll have to have a chat with the shop again clear things up.

Dragontegz, i kinda saw it comming...for some reason, it sounded like a noob question. and just for the record, you were being an ass.....j/k

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard the opposite...comptech catback's are pretty load, and from the sounds of it, it's a deep sound (nice sound)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
comptech is going to be louder than stock for they use a straight thru muffler design as opposed to a chambered muffler design. however, the comptech is quieter than most aftermarket exhausts because their muffler is oval which has some sound deadening material. N1 style canister mufflers have almost zero sound deadening stuff and it'll get pretty loud especially without a resonator. surferX has an article regarding exhaust sound here and i think everyone who's concerned with the exhaust sound should take a look at it. very helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts