Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the time to perform a compression test on my 96 GSR with 76k on it. Everything is stock. The readings came out to be 180-180-170-180. This seems really low compared to others with a b18c1 engine and approx. same miles. A lot of b18c1 engines get 200-240 psi across all cylinders. I took out all the spark plugs and removed the ECU fuse. Turned the engine over until the reading stoppped. What should I be worried about now? I don't plan to keep the car that long.. maybe another year max because I need to get a bigger car. Is there anything I should spend a ton of money on because of the results of the compression test?

Something that irritates me is that I don't know if the dial guage is giving me a correct reading. It starts off at 20 psi (I tried to reset it but it just stays at 20 psi instead of 0 psi). So I just subtract 20 psi off from the highest reading I get, which is 200 psi then I get 180 psi. The dial is supposed to start off from 0 psi correct? Too bad I got the compression tester off from ebay or else I could return it and get one that's more reliable.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Get another gauge, pour a drop of marvel mystery oil in the cylinder and see if your compression drastically shoots up,then you know it's the sealing of your rings. If you dont beat on the car then it will last another year.

-Ed

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah, your tester seems fishy. I'd try a different one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I brought the car to AAA to get it inspected just for my sake. They performed the cylinder balance test and the readings were 100-96-100-98. Does this contradict the readings I received from my compression tester? I'm losing sleep over this because I'm worrying about how my engine might be going downhill after I saw those horrible numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts