Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well at our last TI meet i did a comp. test with one of those psi gauges well i hear normal for a ls is around 190 well my number 1 and 4 cylinders were about 180-190 but my # 2&3 was like 80 yes eight zero. what can this be is it rings head gasket or valves im guessing rings but anyone with any idea's of what it might be let me know before i rip my motor out. Thanks

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
bring it to a shop and have a leakdown test done also...it will give you better insight onto whether its your rings, or another part

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04 said:
compression test: rings

leakdown test: valves/valve seals
Well it's more like:

compression test: rings or valves, hard to tell

leakdown test: everything plus you can get an idea of what it is exactly

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
br1t1shguy on Feb/27/04 said:
Well it's more like:
compression test: rings or valves, hard to tell
leakdown test: everything plus you can get an idea of what it is exactly
thats what i was looking for...the more info you start w/ the better you can analyze a problem from the start before ripping it all apart

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Im surprised you havent noticed a loss in power prior to the test. Have both tests performed again. Make sure your doing it correctly as well.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the most common thing is people not doing the test correctly. most common mistakes: not doing it with the TB wide open and the engine warmed up.

you won't get a bad leakdown if the valves are fine (even if the rings are shot).

you can get a bad compression test with normal valves/valve seals.

that's why I say:

compression test: rings

leakdown test: valves/seals

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
How much in total would it be to get these replaced, or perhaps have it done myself? ...I don't know :[. But hey! At least I searched! ;x

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
if its rings for sure it can be pretty expensive if you dont do the work yourself...

it would involve pulling the motor...the sepreating the head from the block...dissassembling the shorty, then overboring the cylinder and re-honing it w/ oversized pistons and new rings...and while your there might as well replace everything like the seals and such...

even if you were to do all the motor pulling and stufff like that...the hone and overbore is prob like $125-150.

so your looking @
motor pull (good worker) 6hrs of labor
motor install 6hrs of labor
pull apart the motor...machine shop > 2hrs of labor
overbore and hone $125
reassembly $?
Parts:
all new gaskets...like $100-150
new t-belt if it hasnt been done $130

so when you add it all up it really is a lot of $$$...you'd almost be better off selling your current motor to someone who could rebuild it themselves....and buy a used motor for relatively cheap ($500-$900) and install it yourself...but then again your motor wouldnt be brand spankin new like a rebuilt...but it all depends on $$$

a full rebuild w/ install/removal
will run you into the $3k range

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can't believe you guys really are questioning MD this man knows his sh$t. The man is great when it comes to knowing hondas and areas of performance that can come out of our engines.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Yeesh. Do you guys know how involving it is to do it myself? I am definitely trying to save money, but I'm not down for messing up my car. Could the average mechanic do something like this? Any instructions somewhere as to how? Thanks guys...

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
i thought you can change that ring and gasket ourselves? people at g2ic said is "easy"... damn i was planning to do it this summer! plase someone comfirm this sh*t, do we need to pull that many sh*t and bore the hell out just to fix this minor problem?

I know mine probably need to be replace either the gasket or the ring, my compression is ~150... shop tested it for me while my dist broke down few weeks ago, but he didn't do it like MD said with open TB tho... would that reduce 30 to 40 psi?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
No, an average mechanic can't do this. You need someone who knows how to use precision tools. An experienced machinist would be ideal. I'm working a 2L GSR shortblock build in my head, and if you did the same, it'd end up costing about $2500.

If I were doing a half-assed job (reuse pistons, new rings, light hone), and if I didn't run into any complications, I think I could get a rebuild done for $1000. Anyway, follow your service manual and good luck.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Stryker5k on Mar/03/04 said:
I can't believe you guys really are questioning MD this man knows his sh$t. The man is great when it comes to knowing hondas and areas of performance that can come out of our engines.
Who's questioning him??? I must have missed that part of the thread...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts