Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had decided about a month ago to probably get the pioneer ts-c1653 component speakers and power them with a rockford fosgate punch 200s amp.

however, i've recently discovered that i can get infinity reference series 605cs component speakers for the exact same price as the pioneers. i'd go for it, but i'll have to get an amp that's twice as powerful like the fosgate punch 400s to power them, and that amp is $70 more than the 200s.

would it be worth the extra $$$ to go infinity or would there be that much of a difference? i'm not planning on putting a subwoofer in ever, and the pioneers have a broader frequency response on both ends the the infinitys, so in theory, they'd have more low end bass.

also, either way i go, i'm going to overwhelm my rear speakers. they're 30w rms pioneer coaxials. since they're just "fillers", should i even be concerned with this?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
go with pioneer, i just like their quality...infinity is a ood speaker company but i can''t recommend them because i have never used them...the amp is pretty cheap for an extra 200 wt... and your rear speakers will be overpowered most likely and they might blow from all the power going to them, so be concerned but not too much...if i was you i would get new speakers all the way around for better quality and the chance you won't over power them...IMO

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheezthis on Sep/01/02 said:
As for the rears, just leave them connected to your stock deck and run the components up front off of your RF amp. Of course, you can do something else, but that's just a suggestion of mine.
that's exactly what i am planning on doing.

the pioneer i was considering is rated at 50w rms. would i still be able to use the stock wiring or would i need to run some lower guage wires into the door?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had some infinity reference components in the back of my car and kenwood components in the front (for some damn reason) and and I swear, you could hear the infinities over the kenwoods on all different kinds of tracks. They're not MB Quarts, but they're sure closer than the pioneer, sony, kenwood crowd. in my HUMBLE and unexpert opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the infinity reference, and believe me when I say they sound beautiful, I used to have pioneers in my old car, Im sure they have gotten better, but I love my infinitys, they are crystal clear, and the tweeters mount real nicely to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i have had both infinity and pioneer. the pioneer speakers that i had sucked. the infinity sounded awsome but blew supposedly do to to much base from the HU is what i was told.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have Kappa Infinity 5 1/4's in the front...I know they are different from the reference speakers but they sound wonderful. I am running 60watts rms to them and they are extremely tight and clear.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Deuce on Sep/01/02 said:
ii'd go for it, but i'll have to get an amp that's twice as powerful like the fosgate punch 400s to power them, and that amp is $70 more than the 200s.
that is totally false. YOU CANNOT BLOW SPEAKERS BY UNDERPOWERING THEM! they blow because the user has incorrectly set gains and overdriven the amp.

the only reason why you would want to get the bigger amp would be to surpass the input of the pioneers and reach the rms of the infinity's. there is the issue of sensitivity, but i think its negligible. i guarantee you will not listen to it that loud under normal circumstances, even on the freeway. even when your favorite song comes on. get the infinity's, get the cheaper amp.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Quote: XDEep on Sep/05/02that is totally false. YOU CANNOT BLOW SPEAKERS BY UNDERPOWERING THEM! they blow because the user has incorrectly set gains and overdriven the amp.[/QUOTE] actually you can blow your speakers by underpowering them, it's been done...we had a huge argument on this point in another thread and the truth was they can blow do to under powering them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FlyinHighImport on Sep/05/02 said:
Quote: XDEep on Sep/05/02that is totally false. YOU CANNOT BLOW SPEAKERS BY UNDERPOWERING THEM! they blow because the user has incorrectly set gains and overdriven the amp.
actually you can blow your speakers by underpowering them, it's been done...we had a huge argument on this point in another thread and the truth was they can blow do to under powering them.

[/quote]
i read somewhere that the reason they blow from underpowering is because when you turn the volume up too high and can't send enough power at that volume level, the amplifier is sent into "clipping" where square wave distortion is introduced. whereas a sine wave signal is what you want.

·
Registered
400 Posts
[/QUOTE]
that is totally false. YOU CANNOT BLOW SPEAKERS BY UNDERPOWERING THEM!

i beg to differ....two ways u can blow a speaker...overpower, and underpower

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you guys have convinced me. i'll probably go infinity. one more question for those with the reference components. how bassy are they?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Deuce on Sep/05/02 said:
i read somewhere that the reason they blow from underpowering is because when you turn the volume up too high and can't send enough power at that volume level, the amplifier is sent into "clipping" where square wave distortion is introduced. whereas a sine wave signal is what you want.

that is absolutely correct. equipment doesnt blow speakers, people blow speakers. you put a 25w amp on 200w speakers and let it play according to its capabilities, of course it will be perfectly fine. its when morons dont think its enough so they turn up the volume and obviously it will send a distorted signal to the speakers.

i dont see why this is such a hard concept to grasp. your car has a redline. drive under the redline and youre fine. drive above and youre f*cked. is this the case of an underpowered vehicle? NO! learn to drive within the cars limits or get a new car or upgrade it.

how about this, you get into a ferrari 360, you keep spinning the tires until the tread is gone. is this the case of an overpowered vehicle? NO! (for you, yes! learn to ease the clutch so the tires dont "blow")

Quote: vietcious on Sep/05/02 i beg to differ....two ways u can blow a speaker...overpower, and underpower
two other ways: being an idiot, being a bigger idiot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts