Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had trouble finding a post that answered this so here goes.
My vtec stopped working yesterday. I just got the pr3 ecu for the engine (b16a) and everything has been working fine for about 4 days now. I have plenty of oil in the car and I re wired the vtec wirring to the computer just to be sure that part was okay. I also checked the filter inside the vtec cylinder and it wasnt clogged. I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the vtec solenoid and heard it engaging. I also hooked a test light to the wire on the vtec solenoid and the vtec sensor switch and revved the car to 5,500 rpm to see if the signal was being sent to these parts (hoping that the light would come on) But nothing so far. I know these arent all correct ways of testing the vtec but I gotta wait till next week to get it into the mechanic so I figured I'd try some stuff.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey ihad a couple friends have there speedometer cable on hook and vtec will shut off cause the computer does sence it

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
From the All About VTEC article:

In order for the ECU to initiate the VTEC system, 5 engine conditions must be met.

Temperature: The engine must have reached normal operating temperature.

Throttle Position: The throttle must be open far enough to allow for increased airflow in VTEC.

Vehicle Speed: The car must be in motion (wheels spinning).

RPM: Engine must spin to it's target value. The GS-R will send it's "GO" signal for VTEC at 4400 RPM while the Type R sends it's signal at 5700 RPM.

Oil Pressure: The engine must be operating with normal and safe levels of oil pressure determined by the VTEC pressure switch.

·
Registered
732 Posts
hardbagel on Mar/28/04 said:
hey ihad a couple friends have there speedometer cable on hook and vtec will shut off cause the computer does sence it
hey listen to this guy cause he is right my friend had your same problem, his speedo cable was not hooked up. as soon as he hooked it up, the vtec was opening up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no cels. The speedometer is fuctioning. I mean, it shows how fast I'm goin. There is enough oil in the engine (Up to the second (top) hole on the dip stick. I am flooring it when I drive and it ususally kicks in at about 5k but now its not.

The only thing that is acting funny on the car is when I start it in the morning, it takes a few tries to start and when I hit the gas it almost stalls till it warms up. Could there be a link here with the vtec also?

**one thing I forgot. My knock sensor is not connected to the ECU yet cause I cant figure out which of the 2 wires to connect to. I read this at a web site.

>>t is also critical to hook up the knock sensor or the VTEC function will not work. The engine's ECU looks for the knock sensor signal in order to activate VTEC. The B18A and B18B block has no provision for a knock sensor. In this case, or if you don't want to run a knock sensor, you can do several things. You can have a knock sensor not attached but grounded to the chassis and connected to your ECU, or Hasport has ECUs that are reprogrammed to allow VTEC operation with no knock sensor input.<<

The wierd thing is that I have been running with no knock sensor the whole time and only now am having the prob.

·
Banned
643 Posts
i am having the same problem rite now...this all happend when i installed a test pipe in my car...does vtec engagement have anything to do with o2 sensor? cause my primary is messed up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts