Team Integra Forums banner

Coilovers, Springs, Struts, and Shocks???

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BlackKnightGSR 
#1 ·
A little clarification please???This prolly sounds pretty BASIC to about 90% of you guys, but i really don't know!...What is the difference between Coilovers, Shocks, Struts, and Springs???What is the best???... What are the Adv./Disadv. between the four...What are the prices ranges of them???

#2 ·
Springs= self-explanatory. In a double-wishbone suspension is responsible for suspending the weight of the chassis

Shocks= dampens spring bound/rebound force. With no shocks your car would just bounce up and down all the way home.

Coilovers= combination of spring wrapping around shock. your stock suspension uses coilovers

Struts= often used as another name for shocks

#4 ·
a true coilover set. this mean a full suspension kit which includes springs and adjustable shocks. these are pricey, however, running about $1300 for a whole kit. Tokico, IMO makes the best suspension kit. if you have a GSR, adjustable coilovers are nice. the ride will be bumpier, but not so much. if you can't afford a full suspension kit, investing in adjustable SHOCKS (not coilovers) would be a good idea. that way, you can adjust the height of the car without sacrificing ride quality, all the while keeping your stock springs on. but, adjustable shocks are more expensive than adjustable springs (coilovers).

#9 ·
sy33integra on Dec/30/02 said:
ok just making sure here...if i was to go with lowering springs, i would also need shocks, camber kit, and alignment, right? all this will cost me about $500; am i right?...
Not necessarily, depending on what springs you get and how much they lower your car will determine if you need a camber kit or not. You dont HAVE to get shocks but is a good thing to do because the stock shocks weren't exactly made to work with aftermarket springs. You would need to get an alignment done also.

#11 ·
so, if I lower my car 1.5" will I need to get a camber kit or not? I figured an alignment would be neccessary but I don't want to get a camber kit if I won't need it. Also, what is a good height to lower the car to for autocrossing? I don't want to slam it to the ground though.

#13 ·
Coilovers are usually adjustable spring/strut combo.

Springs aren't adjustable, and are just springs.

Struts have the springs attached to them.

Shocks have the springs mounted seperately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.