Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently built a co2 cooling system for his 97 eclipse gs. I just found it a pretty sweet idea. He basically took his 2 old paint ball co2 tanks and racked them in a hand made holder in his car. He put them behind his passenger seat and he has a tube from his tanks to his intake and he wrapped the tubing around his intake and aimed the end at the ground.

So basically when he opens up the valves he lets cold co2 freeze up his intake via the tube which makes the air intake nice and cold.

Does this actually work or is he juss messn' around? I've never heard of this.. but i asked around and people know of this type of system. And plus it's always funny when people sit in his car and see 2 blue bottles and get excited that he has "nos" like the cool F+F guys =\

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
another story about using a different gas in racing that actually works:

we ran nitrogen in the Grand Am's NSX's tires during a race.

Nitrogen is relatively inert gas and not susceptible to the effects heat to the same degree as air (Oxygen). So the tire pressure remained constant despite changes in tire temps as the laps increased and the compound was operating in the ideal performance range for grip.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
batboy is the co2 actually feeding into the intake pipe or is it just blowing on the outside of the pipe making it cold?

MD, hmm I wonder if any gas stations offer nitrogen tire fillups you think haha.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think its blowing air into the tubing surrounding the intake thereby cooling the intake and its air contents.....Sounds like a very economical and plausible idea to increase preformance....Ill have to look into it seeing that i have like 20 paintball tanks just sitting around.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
SurferX on Sep/16/02 said:
batboy is the co2 actually feeding into the intake pipe or is it just blowing on the outside of the pipe making it cold?

MD, hmm I wonder if any gas stations offer nitrogen tire fillups you think haha.
yeah that CO2 thing is a red herring.

you can get Nitrogen tanks from any medical gas or industrial gas supplier. The hardcore autoX guys show up with one sometimes. You'll need a pressure release valve with 2 gauges to attach to the valve at the top of the nitrogen tank. The tanks are long and heavy : a friend with an SUV or truck as a "chase" supply pit truck is needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ummm, firefighters are taught to use a fire extenguisher to blow the contents(co2) into the airbox of a car to stop it from running incase they are unable to reach the ignition, or it wont work, or whatever reason it may be...so blowing c02 in ANY ammount directly into the intake will either cause the engine to seize, but it definitely wont do any good, as its taking away room for OXYGEN, lol :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
but wut about outside...blowing it inside wouldnt make sense because it would stop all the combustion in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
14,186 Posts
red herring basiclly equals false hope

·
Registered
62 Posts
ryougazilla on Sep/16/02 said:
but wut about outside...blowing it inside wouldnt make sense because it would stop all the combustion in the engine.
ehh, its hard to control any air into an open environment, so to spray co2 in your engine bay would be just about as stupid as injecting it into your intake now wouldn't it? it'd be pretty damn near impossible to spray it on one area and one area only..unless you designed an intake sleeve that had some sort of bypass valve that let off into a safe area(under a wheel well, etc)...but even though, how much gain are ya lookin for doin that? .5hp? lol just take out your spare tire, same results :)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Maybe it'll freeze so cold the intake pipe will just shatter from the engine vibrations. Metal shards aren't very good for performance.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Considering carbon dioxide is one of the byproducts of combustion, I would imagine it would be just as effective as shooting exhaust gasses into your intake. It won't matter how cold it is you aren't going to go faster.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
When we used to play ball we would get into the science of it. Nitrogen doesn't really slip in temperature differences as far as pressure is concerned. Behold one reason nitrogen is used in a lot of the faster paint markers: the pressure is consistent at varying temperatures.

The idea of using co2 as a coolant has good initiative but you must look at the properties of co2. Carbon Dioxide is extrememly unstable. It is stored as a liquid inside those paintball tanks. When released it turns directly into a gas and does something interesting. In fact, we hated this on the ball field back in the day.

The released co2 causes an endothermic reaction. This is basic chemistry/science/physics. An endothermic reaction is one that absorbs heat energy. The opposite, an exothermic reaction, gives off heat energy. An example of an exothermic reaction would be lighting your ass hairs on fire.

Since co2 undergoes an endothermic reaction, it becomes colder and tank pressure drops. This really sucks...especially when your tank has frozen over and you're about to get bunkered. Anyhow...since the co2 is getting colder, pressure drops, right? If your pal gets valve happy, he could possibly squirt liquid co2 all over the inside of his engine bay. It doesn't take much to be officially "valve happy" either. Blow-backward markers run off of 800 psi naked, and it does not take much co2 to propel that ball. Or imagine an o-ring popping. There goes his coolant idea. That method is endangering his engine bay. Not to mention that the method is useless at highway speeds.

Yeah, another victim of "a guy with a cool body kit said it's good so it must be true".

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i dont think he meant the gas goes in the intake did he? sounded like a closed loop system.

isnt the rumor for every 10F reduction in intake air, you gain roughly 1-2%hp?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
No you mean ass mods dont get it ;-p. His friend wrapped a co2 line around the intake and had the tube emptying out of the engine bay. Therefore the cold CO2 would chill the line, in turn cooling the tube.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i say you take 2 ice packs shape them in a circle and freeze them then rubber band them to the intake therefore cooling the intake .....sounds good

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
why does you guys think it sucks? if you can chill the air 20F or more dont you think its worth it? aside from the longer/thinner pipe, people love cai's for that

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
hmm... Chemistry was a few semesters ago but the concept is a good one I think. rather then using ice water and an intercooler you can use a "chill can" of CO2 (or any liquid gas) to chill the intake pipe. now this most likely would be for short time i.e 1/4 mile runs. anther problem is that it would take a bit to cool the intake piping, and you would definitely need to vent as far away from the engine bay as possible. The things we would need to keep in mind is the specific heat of the gas, the volume of the container (chill can), the desired temperature drop, the pressure we will want to blow off at, the discharge path and the safety mechanisms. Having the bottles located in the cabin is a no no unless you have all the same precautions that N2O users have (blow off valves, vent piping, secure mounts etc)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts