Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car today and my car was having problems getting into gear. I usually shift quickly but today the syncros were keeping me out of gear for a second or two. The stick couldn't get into the selected gear (when up-shifting) until the rpm's were matched with speed or lower. I'm wondering if this is a clutch problem or what? The clutch otherwise feels fine, no slippage or chattering. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm getting pretty nervous. I dont want the car to decide to stop getting into gear on me altogether and be stuck somewhere. I drive to work every day, so I would be pretty screwed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Sounds like what just recently happened to me. Throwout bearing needs to be replaced.

Try rolling your windows down, and push your clutch in and hold it for a second. Then release the clutch, and see if you can hear a noise from the tranny. If so, the throwout bearing needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK new update...The car takes even longer to get into gear...even grinds into most shifts (even down-shifting now)...When I start in gear the clutch grabs extremely early, then chatters....even detected a slight slippage (in first gear only)...I'm starting to think its the clutch. I'll try the throwout bearing test in the morning. By the way, what is the throwout bearing, where is it located, and would it be expensive to replace? Also, anyone know where to ot a good price on a clutch??

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the vehicle doesn't go in gear if its not the synchros its the throw-out bearing of the Clutch. Then the clutch goes bad once the throw-out bearing goes. I have that problem right know, it scuks because its know squeeling noise coming from the engine which is the clutch, I press it goes away, so its the throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clutch my friend. The prices vary quite a bit depending on the brand and type of clutch you get. It also varies on the "level" of clutch and pressure plate that you decide to go with. Getting a lightened flywheel will also raise your cost. The throw out bearing comes with most clutch kits. If you provide us with some more information we will better be able to help you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup...throw-out bearing. Got it checked. So, now I have to decide what I have to do. I was in the process of selling the car. But I also want to get a good (ACT HD-SS) clutch. I decided to let the flywheel go for now. Just too much $$ for me now. I wish someone who loved tegs would consider the car. I could offer them the price for the install and stock unit, and they could just pay for the better clutch and flywheel if they wanted. I wish someone offered me that deal when I bought my car!

·
Registered
109 Posts
it could be a lot of things, dont go out and buy a cluctch until you are sure, it could be something simple such as a pressure plate or slave cylinder...dont go by what everyone says on here...alot of people just jump on the band wagon and go with whatever is being said...take it to a garage...be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts