Team Integra Forums banner

clutch engagement change?

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  GSRintegra98 
#1 ·
I was driving to work today and when I came to a light I sat there and had my car in 1st gear with the clutch pushed all the way down. All of a sudden I feel my car shake alittle and the car is slowly, very slowly moving foward but my foot is on the clutch all the way down to the ground. Then when I start to let off the clutch some more the car shakes really bad then it starts going no problem. My master clutch cylinder is leaking and a friend of mine said there prolly too much air getting into the system or has a bad seal. My clutch has not been slipping or anything. Sometimes it all goes smooth and sometimes this happens so its not the clutch, because if it was the clutch im guessing this would be happening all of the time. But since its on and off air moving around inside the system makes more sense. What do you guys think?....I might take it to a honda service center tomorrow and see what they say but I dont like how they give me answers to questions, they go like...oh its prolly that or oh its prolly this..in a being brushed off manner. Oh well, just trying to figure out what this could be...thanks =)

#8 ·
well I just came back from honda and they said its my clutch master cylinder since its a on and off problem. Reason why im trying to find out is because im on a budget and only really have enough to do one or the other kind of deal. Because I need my car..not want but need it. I cant afford to be in a situation where that I fix the clutch master cylinder and the problem is still there (meaning clutch itself). Then im screwed, but hey its my problem and no one elses untill I pay them..lol =P

#10 ·
well I did not get the job done yet but they said like 250-300 for clutch master and slave cylinder plus labor. I would have a friend help me do it but I dont trust myself and my friends basicly give me the impression that they dont want anything to do with it. They dont want to be held responsible if they f**k something up I guess. I rather have it done right then me learn-fix my car.

#11 ·
I see your point. Rather not f**k it up and have it done right. Well you should start yourself off small and work your way up. It's amazing how much money you can save on labor when you do things yourself. Purchase a Helms manual for your teg and that will be your bible. Good luck with the car.

#13 ·
I mean I got friends with civic's and accords (late 80's early 90's) with almost 200k on them and they beat the crap out of there cars and still have the orginal clutch. So I dont see how im only at 85k and mostly drive easy on it and sometimes have alittle fun would it be the clutch. I cant wait to get this fix so I can have fun with it again =)

#15 ·
Yeah, a CMC change is very easy. I would help you out if your in my area. Just a piece of advice, buy the real thing from Acura. Don't go to Kragen, Monument, Car quest, etc. I am now on my fourth CMC, because I tried to go the cheap way twice. I then decided to get the real one from Acura for $120 which was discounted because I know someone. Good luck.

#17 ·
It sounds like your CMC definetely. I had the same problem. The Adler brand of CMC are OEM. They have Nissin stamps on the cast of the cylinder and the box has actual OEM Honda part numbers. Yes they are 60 bucks on ebay. You can buy it there or pay twice as much if u go to honda and buy it in a honda box.

#18 ·
well now its doing something new.....when im stopped and the clutch is pushed in and in 1st or whatever gear the car chatters really bad and I hear squeeking coming from the front (tranny?) and the car is trying to move foward very slowly. I try to pull it out of gear and it does come out of gear but takes alot of force. I can put it into gear but takes some force...then when I try to go it chatters really bad then goes(at the same time the engagement point is like an inch off of the floor and not half way like it was before). Ya I dont think thats the clutch master cylinder seems to be more then that :/

#20 ·
well it happened finally...this morning im up the street from my house and im at a stop sign and push the clutch in (still has feeling) and try to put it into gear...wont go into gear..I try to force it in and it grinds alittle still not going in. I got it towed to honda and they will have a look it at. I talked to the guy up there and asked how much it would cost for a new clutch just in case thats the problem...he said $440 for labor (ya clutch change is not easy) and clutch and everything that goes with it $408. Since my clutch master cylinder is leaking that might as well get replaced..they said about 200 bucks for parts and labor for that. So we are talking about 1000 bucks here. What sucks is I know im getting ripped off but I if I could do all of this myself I would. I know some people that could do it for me but they are too busy now days (work and such). When they call me back and tell me whats up ill let you all know whats going on.

#21 ·
well they called me back and said that both my master and slave cylinder are leaking pretty bad. (I knew this already) so they are like thats prolly whats causing it and that they are going to have to be replaced anyways. Im just hoping after thats done the problem goes away, well see.

#22 ·
brought back from the dead..lol

anyways, They replaced my master and slave cylinder and I can drive the car now but it still chadders and you hear weird sounds coming from the bell housing. Friend of mine said its either the throwout bearing or one of the teeth is still touching the clutch or something like that. I said what if its the input shaft? and he said well since your problem comes and goes its not that because if it was the problem would be there all the time. The guy at honda said its prolly the whole tranny and he also said that the tranny in the gsr is the same in the LS. Because of that tranny's in gsrs go out easy because they are not designed to handle the power of a gsr motor they were designed to handle the power of an ls motor. That sounded like bs to me but hey what do I know. The guy at honda also said "the tranny's in integra are not very good I have rebuilt so many of them in gsr's because they go out so fast..that was honda's mistakes...ls tranny hooked up to a more powerful motor". That does not make sense since people out there spray/turbo there tegs with the stock tranny and they hold up fine. What do you guys think? What my car is doing is sometimes when I put it into gear it will take alittle force and it will make a weird chaddering sound then when I give it alittle gas and let the clutch out it chadders really bad then its engaged. Gear shifting is alittle notchy too, sometimes its smooth when I start driving it first time that day then it starts doing that again. Im just hoping after replacing the clutch,throwout bearing, pressure plate ect. That the problem will be gone. What do you guys think?

:/

#23 ·
wow, that guy is the biggest f*cktard I have ever had the displeasure of hearing about. Why the hell than do so many LS owners on here dream of swapping their tranny's for GSR tranny's? What a d*psh*t, go kick that guy in the balls and walk away, without so much as uttering a word.

edit: Oh yeah, your clutch probably needs replacing, and or your clutch fluid also if it has been leaking. If you do end up changing your clutch or any parts for that matter, at least order the parts yourself. I mean I understand that you can't do the install yourself, but you'll safe a good chunk of change, probably a couple of hundred dollars, if you buy the parts yourself.

edit again: Good luck!

#24 ·
well my clutch master and slave cylinder got replaced so now I can drive the car again and the tranny fluid was just changed. I dont have any leakes its just chaddering coming from the bellhousing. Its like the clutch is lose and is dancing around in there..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.