Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Clifford rs3.5 alarm. Clifford claims the 2way pager is suppose to have a 1/4 mile range.
I work in a 2 story building and it does not page me if my alarm gets tripped. Do you know of anything I can buy to increase the range or should I bring it back to my installer and complain.

Thanks,
Skilly

·
Registered
930 Posts
it should work "around" a quarter mile in "open" range.. try that firs... it might not work in you building for the same reasons why cell phones get bad reception in buildings.. all that metal and concrete...

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
theres soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many factors involved in range

the 3.5 will 1/4 mile range under perfect conditions (nothing in the way, antenna is mounted perfect, full batteries, to name like a small percentage of what it could be)

i would complain to the installer if your antenna is not mouted on the windshield (like as if they got lazy and stashed it inside the dash)... but i wouldn't "expect" 1/4....

i am in the second story and on the backside of my work building, and i park as far away from here as i almost possibly could and my 3.5 communicates fine.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try parking in a more wide open area tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback.

Does anybody know of a better antenna we can buy for the rs3.5? Even if I did get the 1/4 range I would always like to extend the range.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
the rsx3.5 is the only starter/alarm made by clifford with a pager, the G5 series has a few more features for securuty but it isnt two-way, so that makes it seem obsolete to me even though its brand new technology supposedly...just my opinion tho..

anyway, my range is great, i think in terms of feet, so 1/4 mile is 1320 feet...my parking lot at school is at least 1000 feet from the entrance to the building, and around a slight corner as well, and i can still start my car from there...check you antenna placement...i spent the extra time doing my install (lol, the whole thing took me forever and a day) and i ran my wire up my A-pillar into the headliner and to the back of the car and put it at the top of the hatch glass on the dot matrix.....and between my 20 percent tint and the dot matrix, it is completely invisible from the outside, and you can harldy see it from the inside, you cant even tell its there when i look in my rearview mirro its up so high....im not sure if the Dot matrix that it is placed on has any effect on it, i doubt it....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I really never got the point of haveing the 2 way pager. by the time you get the page and get out to your car who ever was there is long gone by now, so what is the point? I have a clifford ag700 G4 alarm and it works great. I don't have to worry about my car getting stolen. The only way to take my car is on a flatbed.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
tumbleweed on Mar/13/04 said:
I really never got the point of haveing the 2 way pager. by the time you get the page and get out to your car who ever was there is long gone by now, so what is the point? I have a clifford ag700 G4 alarm and it works great. I don't have to worry about my car getting stolen. The only way to take my car is on a flatbed.
couple things - there is always a way to steal a car, dont be so confindent, even the best alarms and best installs can still be bypassed, one day your car might just get stolen without the use of a flatbed, then you will realize you shouldnt put so much confidence into just an alarm....

second, the two way pager is very useful. it not only tells you the alarm is goiong off, but it tells you what sensor was tripped, and even if your car just generates a warn away response, it alerts me if it was the shock or proximity that generated the warn away....it is also quite useful for the remote starter, in telling me if my car has started. if you press the remote starter with an ordinary remoter, you have no way of knowing if the transmission was recieved by your car, and if the car actually started. my remote tells me initially if the command was received, and then if the indicator stays on, i know the car actually started. it is very useful, it is all in what you want and need in an alarm

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes i have tha rs 2.5 w/ remote start and i love it..i brought tha 3.5 for my girl accord...(gotta love that best buy discount) any way for tha dude that said get a viper....before you just say sh*t without knowing something cifford,viper avital or anything thats says directed electronics are all one in tha same......as for tha range... it depends if tha walls are thick you can forget about it.....my ranges around .25 to about .75....if it won't work at first move to a different spot in tha building and check to make sure your ant is at tha top on your windshield..mine is behind my mirror

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
additionally, you can turn off code hopping...

its option 1-10 I believe..that will get you a little additional range.....

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
the responder systems are the same...this marks one of the first times that the clifford line has been 100% identical (outside of cases etc....)to the dei line...too bad..

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can't imagine there being any difference between mounting it on the rear (hatch) window, as opposed to on the front window.

But I figure I would ask! I like that the black dots would "hide" the antenna from the outside. Would they have any impact on range? Is this normally not done just because of the "pain in the butt" factor?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
DEI also recomends not 'bunching up the wires' going to the antenna (which alot of installers will do with the extra slack). This hurts your range. Usually to avoid this I will run the antenna wire over to the pass side, up the pass pillar then to the middle of the windsheild. Never had any problems with distance on any installs this way.

The rear window would work just as well. And for better range, run the wire through the headliner and not the floor. Should give you good range.

Adam

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
With my Viper responder I have excellent range. But yes the more buildings around = less range. I would definatly not call a paging unit useless because if my alarm goes off and can't hear it I want to get to the car. I don't want it stolen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts