Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of Blades off a dude, but on one of the rims, the clearcoat is starting to peel. I know this is normal and happens over time. But I was wondering if there is a way to fix the peeling? Could I do it myself, or would I have to bring it to a shop, and how much would it cost?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
A shop could fix it, but it would probably cost a lot of money.

Fixing it yourself is relatively easy. Pick up some aircraft stripper (strong paint stripper), some duplicolor wheel clearcoat, and some brake cleaner.

Coat the entire rim in the paint stripper, and let the paint bubble up and peel away. once it is done, wash/wipe all of the loose clearcoat off.

Wash the rim carefully, then spray it down with brake cleaner. It should then be ready to clearcoat again. Simply follow the directions in the wheel painting article on this site.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
That's the inexpensive way and works fine but I would suggest sand blasting and powder coating them if your going to hold on to them for a while. You can get them done for $40-50.00.00 each with sand blasting.
Some strippers are known to stain the aluminium. Powder coating will deffinately last longer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
jojo on Feb/02/04 said:
That's the inexpensive way and works fine but I would suggest sand blasting and powder coating them if your going to hold on to them for a while. You can get them done for $40-50.00.00 each with sand blasting.
Some strippers are known to stain the aluminium. Powder coating will deffinately last longer.
You must remember that sand blasting will nullify the "machined" look of the surface. It would result in a flat matte finish, which will not match the other wheels.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
You have to have them sandblast then you would have to polish them...light sanding and polishing compound. Powder coating is probably not a great solution for just one wheel. You would want to do all of them. This in some peoples opinion would not be worth the price. If your going to do all four ...you might as well have them painted any color you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts