Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in applying Clear coat on the hood,
I saw some youtube videos - using 2k clear. One time I only used 1 bottle on the roof and it was not enough. So I am wondering paying for it.

Anyone who has researched this or done this?
I searched this forum and there were handful of threads - not directly relevant to mine!

·
Administrator
4,360 Posts
MAACO is a very low-budget body shop. You get what you pay for. I've seen their work, and it's low quality.

Can you post pics of what your hood currently looks like? Why are you wanting to apply a clear coat? Are you also aware that clear coats need wet-sanded with fine-grit sandpaper along with buffing with a rotary buffer?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MAACO is a very low-budget body shop. You get what you pay for. I've seen their work, and it's low quality.

Can you post pics of what your hood currently looks like? Why are you wanting to apply a clear coat? Are you also aware that clear coats need wet-sanded with fine-grit sandpaper along with buffing with a rotary buffer?
Even MAACO was asking quite a bit - so thinking of doing roof myself:
Here are the photos - also I tried Nu-Finish wax - it highlights the imperfections whereas Mcquires would do the opposite and looks better - I did the roof once but I should have used two bottles - it didn't work out well:

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's going to need more than just clear coat. That's going to require sanding, & repainting.
My photos were for both hood and roof. Are you hood only required clear coat?

When it comes to roof, see what this guy did with just clear coat?
youtube]SnjsI_ZC1hw
youtu.be/5r_RFTgigv8
youtu.be/RI9bUG1kzos

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah...you definitely need to sand and repaint. Here's a great site I've used for car paints...especially aerosol sized cans. It actually filters the colors by year make and model. .The last fender I resprayed came out looking better than the original paint.
I'm by no means a pro but here's what I did..
1. wet sanded with 400grit followed by 600, then 1000 and 1500.
2. applied 2 coats of sandable primer wet sanding with 2000 after each coat.
3. wash and dry surfaces, blow down with compressed air and wipe with tack cloth.
4. applied 2 coats of color
5. applied 2 coats of clear, wet sanding with 2000 between clear coats.

I intend to purchase their quart sized cans and do a backyard painting on our '98 LS project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts