Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my teg today, and after washing and everything I decided to try out the clay bar. My first time using it. When I got the clay, it came with that spray you use also. Well when I started using it, like some of the clay got smuged into my paint and I tried to remove it but it wouldn't come off. Is there any solution to this? I don't know if I'm using it right, but I don't think it really works, maybe I'm wrong. I followed the directions and everything. It's only smuged in one area that I was working on, but in other areas it's fine. I was also working in the shade.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
You probably need to use more spray. The spray acts as lubrication so the bar can slide easily across the paint. When there isn't enough lubrication the paint will catch and rub off on the paint.

Try a mild cleaning compound to get the clay smudge off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
true. you need to keep it slick so it won't stick to the paint, but will still pickup the contaminants, also what i do is use the clay bar while i sud up my car, the soap works the same as the lube.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
yup, car wash soap is a good cheap alternative to quick detailer spray.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you recommend any cleaning solution? What about car cleaning degertent? or anything better?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Clay is the greatest invention right before Microfiber. Gotta love it.

Clay your car whenever you want to remove contamination on your car. Keep in mind that it will quite possibly remove the wax on your car in the areas that you clay. Claying before waxing is highly recommended.

I clayed my car a week ago and I didn't even bother drying the car after I washed it. My driveway faces east and it was later in the day so I had tons of shade. I just put down the hose and picked up the clay and started work. I used far less spray when I did it that way.

one more thing about clay. If you drop it; throw it away! There are no 5 second rules with clay. Do not let that bar touch your car again. The clay will pick up every piece of crap that can scratch the hell out of your paint the instant it touches the pavement. Unless you shave the entire surface that touched the ground, just count that piece as a loss. With the Clay Magic kit you can break the bar up into about 3 pieces that will clay 3 or 4 cars a piece. No great loss. Don't take chances. The Clay Magic kit is 10 bucks at AutoZone. The cost to have your car polished to remove the scratches from the clay can be up in the $200+ range.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you reuse the clay bar after you used it, or do you have to buy a new one?

·
Registered
259 Posts
i bought the Mother's clay kit for 15 bucks that comes with clay, the detailer spray(the lubrication spray) and a small bottle of cleaner wax..It really works!..you can hear the clay rubbing all the crap off your paint. You can reuse the clay 3 or 4 times..

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Most clay will last 2-3 whole cars. As you are using it, you can kneed it into itself to expose fresh clean clay. once it gets dirty, it time to toss it.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
A Clay Magic clay bar is huge. That sucker will get you half a dozen cars probably. Maybe fewer if the cars are really really bad. Its really easy to knead too. Just like StyleTeg said, you just fold it in on itself to renew it. They last awhile. When they get to full to do your car with then you can switch to using it on your glass. Or on your rims if they aren't those 3000 dollar ones. :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I just bought the Mother clay bar, spray and wax. My question is, I have a lot's of layers of wax (Gold class) on (every month its wax). Should I use regular car soap or dawn, before I use the clay. I know I have to wax it, after Im done using the clay.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
phatintegra on Aug/14/02 said:
remove contamination and overspray from paint and make it as slick as glass
Exactly. You would be surprised how much contamination most paint has. Industrial fall out from the air, brake dust, sometimes tar, and pollen. All of this can get embedded into your paint, causing it to feel rough, taking away from its maximum shine, and even can cause rusting.

To test your paint, put your hand in a plastic baggie, and run your fingers along your clean car. If you feel any roughness or bumps, you have some contamination!

·
Registered
259 Posts
And I highly recommend doing it if you really love your tegs..It'll also help in the long run. Your paint will stay so fresh and so clean=)if you even just clay bar your car 2-3 times a year...

·
Registered
222 Posts
So wash the car, then clay bar it, then wax it?
What kind of wax, I guess its personal preference, like Mothers carnuba? Or should you do the Mothers 3 step after the clay or in place of the clay, so just wash and 3 step it....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Wax is cool. Polish first and then wax is cooler. :) Check out our sponsor 4 Star for some other products you can use. They do sell Klasse there. There is a special deal for T-I members. Go to the Kits area and look at the bottom row. :) Type 'teamintegra' in the discount box and get 12% off your order too. They are great to work with.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts