Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll make this quick, I'm sure you guys don't want to read the long story that sparked the reason for this question.

Some Honda techs at my job say it's better to drive in D3 and some say D4

What's better on gas? What's heathier for my teg and what do you do (you automatic drivers)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I leave it in d4 simply because its a higher gear. Thus it saves gas, and makes less engine noise when driving, and i'd say that its easier on the tranny. but leaving it in d3 gives it more an pull when driving...so if you like speeding, go for it

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
this has been discussed before....obviously you are going to save gas driving in D4 if you are driving at a speed that warrants shifitng into 4th gear....that is why 4th gear is there - to drop the RPMs of the engine at speeds outside of 3rd gears gearing ratio...

if you need more torque in a particular situation, or if you are on a hill or something where the tranny is annoyingly shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th, then use D3 by all means...

otherwise, I, and most people, stay in D4 98 percent of the time...

Any Honda tech that says using D3 all the time saves gas is a douche, and should never be near a car

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
you might save more gas if you go along a stretch with frequent stops ie a feeder road with like 15 stop signs.. lol.. or maybe not.. lol

yes, all those ''tech's'' should end themselves..

just saying that third gear will save you gas is not really a grand idea.. think about it, if you're gonna pick up some speed (dependent on traffic) and you're in third gear and say you're going like 40 but need to get to 50 (and ofcourse, you'll probably going least 55 (= ) your motor will now rev higher.. ofcourse, going higher will require more fuel of ya', take more from ya'

~P2P

·
Registered
22 Posts
G2's (at least my old 90) have D, S3, and S4. I almost always kept it in D, but would pull it down into S3 to pass someone. - Mostly because it was more fun that way.

As said before my understanding is that it is mostly there to be used when you are driving in conditions where the car keeps shifting up and down or to stay in a lower gear when on a steep grade.

Did the techs give a reason for why they thought D3 was better?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.