Team Integra Forums banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
What's up Dan good to hear from you
Glad the R is going and going (u told me once you'd b buried with it LOL)
I thought these motors run hotter with straight water (not 100% sure)
anyway I just traded my eg hatch for the Integra I have now (I sold the white 96 teg I had back in December)
but driving that hatch for five months... the MPG was ridiculous 40 easy in the city and 55 on straight highway. Although you won't see that I had the d15b8 8 valve LOL

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Bringing this topic back to the top. I havn't touched the car all winter. But I do have a few small plans.

Some new stuff that will be going on. Brand new ITR shift knob. My current leather knob is no longer leather.

I've also ditched the msd dizzy. I was having weird issues starting when the car was hot. I've since switched to a oem dizzy with msd cap for the external coil. I'm still rocking the M&W pro 10 as well.

Axles had been leaking and one needed rebuilt. I just got this issue fixed thanks to the driveshaft shop.

Now I need to work on cooling issues when on the track. I'm going to hack up the front bumper so air can bypass the intercooler and get straight to the radiator. I'm also going to make shrouds that feed into the oil cooler and intercooler.

I also just ordered some new straight cut gears from mfactory. They are on clearance. A already had shortened gears but these are much stronger.

Ratios:
3rd: 1.636
4th: 1.313
5th: 1.000

Pics to come soon!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
I got the car retuned up at pro function on Saturday. I'm running a lower spring so it needed some tuning down low. The car originally had a 9lb spring and now I'm down to 5lb. Boost was inconsistent with the solenoid around 12-14lbs. I plan on getting a 4 port to keep the wastegate shut and boost back up to 20lbs.

The biggest issue is that the car wouldn't go over 8100 rpm. It hit a dead wall. Not sure what the cause is, we spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why but didn't get anywhere.

Also with all the heat issues with car. We didn't have any fans running facing the car the entire time. We wanted to the tune to match horrible conditions like it sees on the track.

This is the max we could get out of the boost solenoid, 13psi

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Also with all the heat issues with car. We didn't have any fans running facing the car the entire time. We wanted to the tune to match horrible conditions like it sees on the track.
http://
But on track you have 70+ MPH of air coming in the front of the car (that's a low estimate, I am sure), at all times.. So wouldn't the fans be more "real time"? Assuming the shop ambient temp was same as outside temp.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
But on track you have 70+ MPH of air coming in the front of the car (that's a low estimate, I am sure), at all times.. So wouldn't the fans be more "real time"? Assuming the shop ambient temp was same as outside temp.
The car runs under max load non stop on the track so everything gets super heat soaked eventually. Not to mention all the of heat from the pavement rising up. Where the dyno is more stop and start etc, I was also getting ignition break up around the 7-8k area while on the track. We were trying to reproduce that problem. We did do about a 5 min pull on and off with the hood down, got water temps up to about 215. We couldn't get the breakup to happen, I think it was the msd dizzy thats been thrown into the trash.

Some good news, I did some more research on not being able to rev above 8k and appears to an issue with the VE tables in neptune. I changed those rpm scalers and was able to do a few pulls yesterday to 9k @ 5lbs of boost. :biggrin:

I'll take the car back up to pro function for another tune at some point to work in the 4 port boost controller and finally get the car tuned up to 9.5k

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I've been working on airflow through the IC to the radiator lately. I fabbed up a bottom plate, sides and top plates that force 90% of the air going through the IC into the radiator. I say 90%, just because there are a few corners that air could escape around.

On thing I noticed which could have really been causing me issues is that a large majority of the air could/did completely go up and over the IC/Radiator all together. So I cut the bumper up a little bit and made this out of some thin aluminum.

Disregard the tape, it was when I was trying to block off the sides at a track event. I left it on to long and now it needs some TLC to be taken off.

I'm also going to block off the sides of the intercooler to the bumper, just haven't gotten that far yet.

I might make some ducting into the oil cooler on the side, but I still like to retain oem turn signals. IDK. I may just see how well these block offs do. I also have an extra hood that I'm fabbing up to have a cowl to try and draw all that hot air out of the bay. More updates soon.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Some more updates!

I got the transmission removed over the weekend:

So I can drop these in:

These are the same ratios as my current gearset, just straight cut for a little added strength. I also have new parts on the way:
carbon coated syncros
sycrno springs,
3/4 hub
3/4 sleeve
5/reverse sleeve
And the bearings that mount on the main and countershafts.

I also got little side things fabbed and mounted up to direct more air into the inteercooler/radiator. I don't like the way they look, but function over form I suppose.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Might as well keep the log rolling.

-I got the trans all back together and into the car. I must say that the gears sound pretty awesome.

-While the car was down I sent my moates demon in for an RMA it wouldn't take the new updated firmware that released a little bit ago. According to the messaging they would be able to preform the firmware update in house and send it back out. Instead they ended up sending me their new demon II model instead. Can't argue with that.

-This past Saturday after the car had been on the road for a few days I started to notice an oil smell. I instantly think that its the line that that feeds to the turbo at the sandwich plate (The line has to be removed to take the intermediate shaft out). Luckily I was not far and on my way home. Turns out that the ss turbo feed line that has been resting against the turbo manifold is not a good idea. It formed a pin hole leak, I lost about quart of a oil. I've since gotten a new ss line and routed a different way. I've also rerouted the coolant lines going to the turbo as well, to avoid any problems like this in the future.

-I just ordered a 4 port boost controller, so I can squeeze more out of this 5lb spring. Instead of running ss lines to the boost controller I've decided to switch to rubber lines. Thinking that this might keep the solenoid a little bit cooler.

-I have an extra hood which I'm in the process of hacking up. I'm going to make a small cowl piece that sits right above where the turbo is and hopefully this keep engine bay temps under control.

-There is one more air flow piece I need to make for the oil cooler. I'm going to cut out a section directly below the passenger turn signal and direct all that air to the oil cooler.

This will hopefully make the car ready to rock at the next track event.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Love the bumper work ! that's great when people really think outside the box
Thank you sir!

I've started working on my "track" hood. Got quite a bit of progress on it done the past few days. I'm debating on what color to paint the hood. Thinking about a flat black, maybe chalkboard paint.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Would rounding out the edges on that hood vent improve aerodynamics in a significant way?
I'm sure, but its just a lot harder to fab. I don't have a metal roller... If wind resistance becomes to much of a problem, I'll just add a few more lbs of boost. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
What about just a cutout and bending the metal down like the mugen hood?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
What about just a cutout and bending the metal down like the mugen hood?

I would have preferred that, and that was the original plan. But the turbo is in the way. The current stock hood already has some of the webbing cut out to avoid contact.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts