Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like to think i have decent knowledge about car audio. but at this moment i'm looking for an amp. its to power a 12" Kicker CompVr. 4ohm.

its rated at 400watts RMS. min 50watts RMS.

here comes the questions.what type of thinks do you look for?

Brand? Power? #Channels?

i figued i would want anywhere from 275watts to 400watts. is that safe? also wanted to get a 2 channel amp and bridge it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i think crutchfield says from 75% to 100% of rms power is a good match up. that would make it 300 and up for you i believe. if its just the sub, then mono is probably the safest bet..you can bridge it too, but i've been told that equivalent power specs from a mono amp, then say a 2 channel bridged, the mono would be stronger.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have the exact same subwoofer. Power it in the 300-400 Watt power range for the best preformance out of the sub. I was running two of them at 600 watts a piece and they were banging but this isnt exactly good for the sub. In the 300-400 range they sound very good. You are going to want to wire the voice coils so that you have 2 ohms and then run it off that. How much are you looking to spend on an amp, that way i can tell ya what to look into =).

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
keep in mind you can overpower a speaker as long as you keep distortion's ugly head from appearing....

2 channel amp thats stable into a single 4 ohm load (ANY amp will do this nowadays) and puts out between 300-600 watts RMS would be super sweet...

and to recommend a different kicker.. be square !!! the L7's rule (in Kicker-land anyways)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
i hear good thing about the jbl mono amp and since you are running a mono woofer that adds up and they dont cost as much as some amps go for.and also i belive its the name im goin with for my next install gotta stay light to win the race

·
Registered
110 Posts
don't forget to watch out for current draw. our alternators don't put out that much. if you've got an amp that requires a certain amount of current draw to produce power at optimal levels, make sure you have enough. our alternators put out i believe only 80amps...correct me if i'm wrong anyone. subtract the current powering all the little lights that are on while you drive and everything, you are left with only so many amps to power your amp, which supplies your sub. your sub can only pound out what is put in. check out your amperage on amps also. if i'm wrong on anything, anyone, please correct me. this is wat i learned my cousin who told me a bunch of stuff when i put my system in. i'm lookin to be getting a solobaric and powering it with a lanzar vibe 1200D amp. i know they aren't so popular, but from what my cousin's in kali told me, they do all their custom work themselves including fiberglass, have told me. this is just me though...hope this helps....peace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts