Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a preformance chip very soon, I think my car is ready for a more aggressive fuel/air mixture. But, I'm planning on doing an ls/vtec next spring... would a chip make this run too rich or too lean, or will it only help?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
People get the wrong idea about chips, they really do jack as far as increasing performance. I mean they may add between 1-5hp, but you'll never feel the difference. The only real reason for an aftermarket chip is to tune an all motor car, when every hp counts. If you really want to get a chip, wait until after you get the LS/VTEC. Aftermarket chips dont adapt to you're engine like the stock one, so if you got one now, then after you go LS/VTEC it might not work well with that setup and cause stalling, or detonation. The stock ECU can adapt to different conditions, or you can even reset it and it will reprogram itself (see the article on resetting you're ECU). Chips are really only usefull for engine tuners that are looking to extract every last possible horsepower per liter, and even then they program their own chips on a dyno, unlike an aftermarket chip which takes the stock program and modifies it slightly, which may be wrong for youre motor. So I either wouldnt bother with a chip, or wait until after you get the LS/VTEC. And if you do go LS/VTEC and get a chip, at least take it to a good tuner and have them program it for you on a dyno, otherwise you could actually lose power over the stock ecu.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no idea... obviously information takes a little longer to get to Montana then it does to you kids on the coast... where roads are paved and stuff. Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just start saving and reading. But a few more questions... which head is the best for my teg? b16... or b17? I'm sure the 16 would be easier to find, but the 17 was made in the same year as my car for the teg gsr? What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
What br1t1shguy said is all true, that goes for the Venom Modulator too...

·
Registered
256 Posts
A quick note on the chip subject is that a number of European cars (VW's, Audi's, etc...) actually do gain significant HP (15-20) from chips. Friends of mine have done this(Audi A4, VW GTI, BMW M3) and there are noticable changes, and it was exactly that upgrade that got me looking online to find out more about chips for tegs. Then I found Team-Integra! And then I became edumacated!

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah euro cars respond really well, such as my friend's 2000 s4, he gained 75+ hp and 142+tq out of an experimental chip he just got from a company, and off his old chip he gained 60hp and 100tq.
As far as your ls/vtec question, yeah the b16 head would be much easier to find, I'd say go with that or just fork out a lil extra money and go with the b18c head.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dvcooke on Aug/14/02 said:
A quick note on the chip subject is that a number of European cars (VW's, Audi's, etc...) actually do gain significant HP (15-20) from chips. Friends of mine have done this(Audi A4, VW GTI, BMW M3) and there are noticable changes, and it was exactly that upgrade that got me looking online to find out more about chips for tegs. Then I found Team-Integra! And then I became edumacated!
That has alot to do with those cars stock turbos tho doesnt it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts