Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from my four day trip to Chicago (sweet city) and when I started up my car to drive back to my house I noticed the check engine light had come on. I have a 97 RS with 105,000 KM, or about 60,000 mi, and I haven't had any troubles since I bought the car last October. I checked my oil and it seemed fine, perhaps a tiny bit high, and everything else appeared normal, hoses and ect. I was wondering if anybody has had a situation similar to this, experiencing a CEL after the car has been sitting for a while, and if anybody has any suggestions as to what I should do. I plan on taking the car into the dealership tommorow if the light doesn't go off. Thanks for any help.
Mike

·
Registered
551 Posts
well im not sure about the canadian cars.. But i thought the check engine light meant something serious was up .. something more than external visual things.. and that u werent supposed to drive ur car at all when that light came on

·
Registered
310 Posts
You can drive it when the CEL is on, but try not to. If you must, keep it under 55 mph. And get it to a dealer ASAP. I would know this b/c it's happening to me currently...
I'm dropping it off tomorrow night.
-Ep

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
no you should get a diagnostic for your car. Usually the check engine lights automatcally turns on around 70,000 miles. Read your owners manual. Or take it to the dealer. nothing is wrong with your car. Might be something wrong but you should check it out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just to clear things up, I'm not pulling the info I posted above out of my @ss or anything, that was straight from the Acura dealership...

Basically, only drive if you have to, and keep it under 55mph.

-Ep

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
My brothers car just recently hit 60k miles and his check engine light came on (for the 60k mile service) so we took it in to get serviced and they said that the light comes on to remind u to get the 60k mile service.

i dunno if its true but thats what the acura ppl said

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is it the Check Engine Light or the Maintenance Required light? If its the Maintenance required light, then reach up under the dash right along the edge till you find a small button. Hold the button in and then turn the key to the on position and wait till the light goes off. If its the light that looks like a motor, I.E., the CEL, then disconnect the negative lead to the battery for 3 minutes, hook it back up, then start the car. If the light comes back on, its a reoccuring problem, but if not, it was a one time thing.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Your computer just may need to be re-set
Because like the guys said, it ususally will come on once you reach a certain number of miles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the CEL comes on when it's time for your scheduled tune-up i believe. if it's not that....then check your gas cap. if it's not properly tightened it will trigger the CEL.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The maintance required light comes on every 7,500 miles. This is for stupid people who can 't remember to change their oil and rotate tires and just do normal preventive maintance.

The CEL is a completely different story, if that is coming on you are throwing a code. Just jump the service connector and turn the key to full power (don't start). the light will come on then go off, a few seconds like it will begin to flash. A short flash is for the tens place and the quick flashes are for the ones place.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think many people are getting the CEL (Check Engine Light) and the Maintance Required Light confused. The MRL is just a reminder that you car is about due for a major tune-up (or whatever you want to call it). The CEL light means there is something wrong with how the car is working. Not neccessarily a major thing, but you don't want to just ignore it.
-Ep

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess even if it is just a scheduled things as some of you are suggesting I will take it in to the dealership. I just find it odd that it came on exactly when I started my car after it had been sitting for four days. And just to clear things up, it is the check engine light (the little yellow engine shape with check in it), not the maintenance required light.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
F*cking dealerships, 83 dollars just to check the code. I mean thats just ignorant. Thanks for the link, maybe I'll do it myself and see what they say when I tell it to them.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dunno, I just called them and thats what they said, I told them I'd be there in an hour.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't know if there is an Autozone near you at all... (are there any in Canada?) Anyways, Autozone will tell you what code it is for free...
-Ep

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My CEL is all ALL THE TIME, been driving on it for around 6 months now.. The dealership said it was just a F'd sensor.. I dunno.. I'm bringing it back soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts