Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a test pipe, which does not have a o2 sensor, so my check engine light is on. is it true that when its on, the engine goes in safe mode and you lose hp? also, how do i get arouond to hooking the o2 sensor up, or make the engine think that it is?

·
Registered
879 Posts
only certain codes will trigger the ECU to go into "limp mode", which would cause loss of engine performance. I do not believe that the oxygen sensor code is one of them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well if u have the check engine light on is not going to run right also if ur car is vtec is not going to kick in just take it to a muffler shop and have them weld a nut that would fit on the 02 and have them put it in and u should be fine

·
Registered
890 Posts
I may have an idea, but I don't think tis a great idea. I'm still testing this on an obdII car. More or less it requires that the o2 sensor be hooked up, and its a little bit of electronics involved, but nothign tough. I'm still lookign for those who have done this before.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the code 45 is more of a nuisance warning light. it does not kick you into limp mode. You would know when you are in limp mode...the spark timing is severely retarded or delayed, the redline is lowered, and if you have VTEC, VTEC is inactivated...the ecu does all this in an effort to protect your engine from further severe damage....this does not happen with the back sensor problems in obd2. Now what happens at the ecu fuel map, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
OBD 1 has a single sensor BEFORE the cat. It can be on the cat or off it.

OBD 2 has 2 O2 sensors: 1 sensor before the cat and one AFTER the cat. The second one is on the cat.

Be careful, the later quarter of '95, the GSR's became OBD2... so it depends on what part of the year the 95's were made

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeah my hig flow cat was made wrong i was wondering is there a way to extend the o2 sensor wire harness or should i just relengthen them myself?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
so if i get a testpipe for my 94 ls there is or is not a 02 sensor i have to hook up to it?

also will putting a testpipe on my 94 ls activate the cel?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
1994 is OBD1. OBD 1 has a single O2 sensor BEFORE the cat and that's it. There is no second sensor after the cat. YES...You must plug this sensor in, since it provides info for the ECU when it runs in "closed loop".
No it won't throw a CEL code.

In OBD2 there are 2 O2 sensors. one BEFORE the cat. one AFTER the cat. Why 2?: FOR EMSISSIoNS PURPOSES...TO TELL YOU YOUR CAT IS BROKEN OR TO PREVENT USE OF A TESTPIPE.

You see, in OBD 2, the ecu compares the second O2 sensor's emissions reading, located BEHIND the cat (after the exhaust emissions have been filtered) to the emission readings from the O2 sensor in FRoNT of the cat. The cat filters out crap. If the 2 readings are identical or if the O2 sensor behind the cat has a higher emissions reading, it means the cat is "broken" and the ecu throws a CEL code.

·
Registered
517 Posts
lol at one point i had my o2 sensor hooked up i nthe harness but it wasn't screwed into the bung and i tied it ot the break lines i think with a thin wire... yeah it worked for a bit then i think it figured out that super clean air was going by or something and it did cel mode

·
Registered
154 Posts
what is an idler valve and whats its function?i ask because my engine light is on and honda said the code was for the idler valve, what do i do to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i ran open-header one night, and as a result my check engine light came on. The OBD code said it was my oxygen sensor heater. Well, anyway I hooked it back up but the check engine light stayed on. When I called the dealer he said that the only way to get it off is to reprogram the oxygen sensor, or something. I put it off for about two weeks and one day it just clicked off by itself. I didn't lose any power while it was on. Don't know if this helps anyone but...there it is.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
kingkash420 on Sep/23/02 said:
so if i get a testpipe for my 94 ls there is or is not a 02 sensor i have to hook up to it?

also will putting a testpipe on my 94 ls activate the cel?
i suggest all of you that want a TESTPIPE to goto http://testpipe.com/htmlsite/testpipe.asp?item=Acura
this is where i bought mine from... they already have the sensor bolts in them... and for only $45 i figure WHAT THE HELL might as well get this rather then jack around with welding a bolt onto the regular testpipe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts