Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I was driving, and the check engine light came on
I went to Honda, paid 50 CAN and they said it was the gas cap not on hard enough but the thing is that I AM SURE i put it on tight, plus it came on like 3 days after I put in gas. If it was a gas cap problem, it should come on on the same day of the problem, not 3 days later. 2 weeks later, same problem again. I didnt go to Honda yet but going somewhere else. I know it is the gas again and the sad thing is i filled gas in like 4 days ago and it comes on again.... ne1 have this problem? cuzi know the gas cap click 3 times... even drove it 3 (10 Minute sessions) each to test it out with the gas cap retightened and IT still is on.... is my engine light screwed up? is there anyway I can Deactivate the check engine light JUST for the gas check and have everything turned on? cuz itz annoying as hell

·
Registered
328 Posts
i had this problem too and the dealer said the same thing however it came back on there are ways to pull the code just do a search or if you want to just reset the ecu you can disconnect the neg battery cable for like 10-15 min

·
Registered
33 Posts
i was told unless you take it to acura to do a tune up it will come on when your plugs need to be changed? and they reset it after the tune up. gas cap? hmmmm??

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
I've heard the gas cap thing before...you may have a faulty seal on it...

Otherwise, pull the code, there's an article on it....look it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check all your sensors. an O2 sensor might have come loose, or your map sensor or some other sensor.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don't pay Honda $50 to do something you can do yourself. Check the articles for ECU codes.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There is also an article on reseting the ECU.

·
Banned
643 Posts
theres a article on here that teaches u how to find out the code and check wat the problem is. u can always unplug ur ecu and plug it back in to reset it

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sucks you payed 5o dollars for them to tell you it was your gas cap. I am sure honda has enough money that they didn't have to charge you for that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Furious94LS on Mar/30/04 said:
WOW, took me 3 seconds to find this.

Long time members really need to set a better example. Why would you not look for the article first?
ummm buddy..... no sh*t i found this article already but if u read my post carefully.. it states that i am not looking for the ECU code.. cuz i know what it is already... i am stating if there is anything wrong with my gas sensor and if i can pull out the ecu from activating again

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
a "gas cap problem" means that the fuel system (from the fuel pump in your gas tank to the lines to the EVAP to the fuel filter to the fuel rail to the injectors) has a leak (not enough pressure in the fuel system).

OBVIOUSLY they are telling you they think the source of the leak is the gas cap (not being closed properly or completely or a defective cap or a defective seat seal for the cap). It's a COMMoN simple problem for a fuel line leak. If you think that you fully closed your cap and have not changed the gas cap or there's a seal problem at the cap then, you really haven't solved or answered your original problem that you paid 50 bucks for.

if you have replaced the cap and checked for the seal and the same CEL code persists, the leak is elsewhere along the fuel system and they have to locate it.

But until you address what they told you was the source of the problem, your pontificating about other causes is pretty much a waste of time. Get a gas cap from Canadian Tire or the dealer and move on.

----------------------------------------
silverteg19 on Mar/30/04 said:
ummm buddy..... no sh*t i found this article already...
This kind of attitude really bothers me when I see it on the honda boards. People who don't know something but acting like they are the king of the world and demanding the same respect as someone who does know something. It's ridiculous. How do you expect strangers to help you if you are pompous for the level of knowledge that you possess?

Obviously you didn't know how to obtain what the CEL code means before you came on this post and to be indignant over the fact that someone shows you how to do it is frankly being a pompous ass about it.

If you didn't know how to to do it before and the dealership did and charged you 50 bucks for essentially a 10 min. job, then, why get angry over something you knew nothing about and couldn't do yourself and had to rely on them to do for you?

I guess what I'm saying is: you should be thankful that you now have learned an extra skill that you don't have to rely on the dealership for rather than lashing back at people here about it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
is anything wrong with my gas sensor and if i can pull out the ecu from activating again
You don't have a "gas sensor." The system infers a problem with fuel pressure based on other sensors.

And no, you cannot disconnect any of your sensors to stop the CEL from coming on. In fact, if you disconnect any of them, the ECU will throw a code for that too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MichaelDelaney on Apr/02/04 said:
----------------------------------------
Quote: silverteg19 on Mar/30/04 ummm buddy..... no sh*t i found this article already...

This kind of attitude really bothers me when I see it on the honda boards. People who don't know something but acting like they are the king of the world and demanding the same respect as someone who does know something. It's ridiculous. How do you expect strangers to help you if you are pompous for the level of knowledge that you possess?

Obviously you didn't know how to obtain what the CEL code means before you came on this post and to be indignant over the fact that someone shows you how to do it is frankly being a pompous ass about it.

If you didn't know how to to do it before and the dealership did and charged you 50 bucks for essentially a 10 min. job, then, why get angry over something you knew nothing about and couldn't do yourself and had to rely on them to do for you?

I guess what I'm saying is: you should be thankful that you now have learned an extra skill that you don't have to rely on the dealership for rather than lashing back at people here about it.
lol im only being an ass because he was giving attitude about it first about not looking for the article cuz i already found that article before making this post. I only didnt know anything about the ECU code artcle the first time before going to HoNDA for the fifty dollar charge but the second time it happened, i knew about the article before making this post... How else do u think I knew the ECU was for the gas problem. The first post I made CLEARLY states that I was wondering if there was a problem with my GAS tank because THE ECU light keeps coming on, NOT whether WHY that ECU light comes indicating what. IF I DIDNT know what the ECU light was indicating how would I know it is the gas light again unless i checked that article already!
MY post is just asking: Why does it keep coming on for gas when i have already closed it properly! looking at the ECU article would not solve this answer, it would only tell me what it stands for, in fact, it is irrelevant to what my answer. I do not mean to be rude, it is just a simple misunderstanding. Thanks for the answer though to my post. It is very well detailed and clear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts