Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've given up on doing a custom turbo, since it doesn't look like my cousin will have enough time to help me, and that is way outside of my expertise level... so I was wondering, is Greddy the most inexpensive turbo you can buy? It looks like it's pretty well-priced, at $2400 or so, but I know there are other turbos that I've never seen for sale, like Rev Hard, and a couple of other ones other than Drag III which I know is more expensive than Greddy... price is going to be my main concern when it comes to doing FI, as I'm not a rich guy at all... do you guys think getting a custom setup done by a performance shop might be cheaper? There is this shop called Frisbee's which seems like it might be good given that they install Turbos for a flat-rate $500 which I've heard is pretty low.. any thoughts on any of this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
500$ is LOW ! And this is where you can GO VERY WRoNG ! Make absolute certain that the shop is EXCELLENT at Turbo installs ! Meaning... CUSTOMERS ! Talk to them. Ask lots of questions. Does the shop have a car that is turboed ? Maybe one of the guys that works there has one on his car ? Ask to see proven dyno plots of their work, more important ask their customer base with turbos if their happy with the work/installs etc.

You can look around and find a Rev-Hard and Drag III kit for 2700-2800 easy on the net. Try GroupBuyCenter.com they always have good deals.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll look into it... umm, do you know of anything cheaper than Greddy though?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think Greddy's just about as cheap a complete turbo kit as your gonna find. You may be able to stumble upon a RevHard kit for about $2500, in which case you'd better jump on it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If i were you, i would plan out all the parts and locations that you can get them for cheap. This way you'll have all the parts you'll need for a turbo setup and for around the same or better price. Most importantly...you'll be getting all the good stuff if you do your research right. Either that or go for the revhard or drag III. Greddy is limited and i think you'll probably have to spend more for changes if you wanted to upgrade than having a revhard or drag. Whatever you decide, goodluck!!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Turbo and Cheap really don't go in the same sentence with each other. If you are going to go Turbo then you need to have at least $2000 bucks to play with. If not then you are going to get screwed by some cheap turbo that doesn't give you the performance that you expect and need. Turbos are hard enough on the engine as it is. If you are going to get one then you might as well get one that is as effective as it can be. Don't go the cheap route when looking at a mod like that. I've seen a lot of guys blow up their sh*t because they skimped on something important like the intercooler or something. If you are going to go turbo then get a signature loan from your bank and go nuts with it. Get a loan for 3 or 4 grand and do it up right.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Or, don't get a loan, don't pay interest, and save up until you have the acctual cash in your bank! =-p

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Back on the subject of cheap turbo kits and all, i was wondering what you guys think about a RevHard Stage 2c turbo kit for $2800 shipped. Good deal or not? What's the cheapest turbo you've found and where is the place? I'm in the market for a new turbo kit so help me out....thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
i think you have things reversed...Greddy is one of the more expensive turbo kits. you're not looking at what it includes. the Greddy turbo kit does not come with an IC or BOV. once you buy that you will be well over $3k.

·
Registered
910 Posts
DefiantGSR on Feb/07/03 said:
Quote: Jngrbrdman on Jul/22/02 I've seen a lot of guys blow up their sh*t because they skimped on something important like the intercooler or something. An intercooler causing an engine to go bad? no way.
i think he means not having an intercooler.

·
Registered
910 Posts
actually thats still a good price, assuming thats including the intercooler installation. i usually hear around $750 for a turbo w/ intercooler installation.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is what i go by: "There's a cheap way to do it then there's the right way to do it." which is why i'm paying out the a$$ to have my internals rebuilt and fully balanced.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
DRAG kits are more complete than Greddy for what its worth, revhard too
both kits will come with FMIC and BOV which greddy is optional, however Greddy comes with injectors while these do not..... so you do the math-- injectors are only 300 while FMIC + BOV= ~1000+

better for drag with $$$ issues
also dont only let the shop do all the work-- if you do you will be at their mercy everytime you need something.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay I know tons of people have seen the instructions to build their own custom turbo. I haven't done it myself. But you can check for it on my site: www.messworld.com/turbo. You can buy cheap turbo parts off of www.ebay.com and www.thepartstrader.com. I know it's recommended to use a intercooler, but I heard you can use your cold air intake. Anyways. I'm not saying I'm the best at describing this technique or anything. Anywho. ArdPerformance is offering some cheap turbos, still over the $1000 range. Here's the site: www.ardperformance.com.

Some day I'll plop a supercharger or turbocharger in my gsr.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm from albuquerque and Dante "Frisbee" installed various turbos on a number of cars. His prelude being one of them. He's pretty experienced at doin it.. he put a turbo on my friend's civic and it's been 2 years without problems so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts