Team Integra Forums banner

charging system??

705 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Woody_2436 
#1 ·
Okay, here is the list of symptoms...

Headlights brighten up as rpm increases (from idle).

Fuel gauge will read 1/2 a tank at one point, then a few miles down the road reads 7/8ths.

Occasionally does not start on tries 1, 2 or sometimes 3. But most of the time starts just fine.

All of these symptoms tell me the battery is on its way out. I am no expert, but my inferior common sense leads me in this direction. Here is the problem. I took it to an alternator/battery/starter shop and had it tested. Everything was just fine. However, I had of course just driven the car there. The place was about fifteen minutes away so there was time for a possibly weak battery to be "charged up" by the alternator.

Does this sound odd to you. Most practical experience with batteries has shown me that they either work fine, or don't. I am not used to this slowly fading away that seems to be happening. (It has been acting this way for 4 months now. Very odd I think.) So, is it the battery, or could something else be wrong with the system? Any ideas?

I bought the car used so I don't know how old the battery is, or the alternator. Thanks for any help.

Woody

See less See more
#2 ·
It only sounds to be the battery when you talk of the headlights britening noticably with Rpm, they will brighten slightly but if its REALLY noticable that very well could be the batt. I do not believe the fuel gauge would act this way with a weak/dying battery. When you say it doesnt start, does it turn over? does it click? does it do nothing? That may be a loose or corroded wire to the starter, or the battery itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.