Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... i was trying to change my fuel filter right now, but the bolt underneath is being a little beyatch. any suggestions on anything i can use to help loosen it? and just to be sure... which way should i be turning?

and by the way... i've already read the article on how to change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
integra_papa on Mar/16/04 said:
good rule of thumb. righty tighty lefty loosy. just use some spray lube like a silicon lube. let it sit for a minute and try that. i know its a lil rough sometimes
i do remember that righty tighty lefty loosy, but it still wasn't budging.

i just don't wanna end up stripping the bolt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well what i did was hold the up most bost with a vice grip, to give the filter some support, while holding it i removed the bottom bolt without any lube. I guess make sure there isn't any "play" when you try to remove the bolt. Make sure its real steady and the bolt should come off easy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried something called liquid wrench.... didn't help

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
90_integraLS on Mar/16/04 said:
how long did you let it sit?
well i was trying to work on it this morning. went out again right now to try, and still no luck.

i kinda hate to say it, but could it be also that i'm a girl and just don't have enough muscle to put into it?? :/

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yes, it could be that :p Have you tried turning it TIGHTER just a smidge, before trying to loosen it? I always find that it helps a ton.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kordaek on Mar/16/04 said:
Yes, it could be that :p Have you tried turning it TIGHTER just a smidge, before trying to loosen it? I always find that it helps a ton.
well just to see, i did try turning it both ways. would budge either way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
try using a socket and ratchet or wrench and then use the bar off of a jack if you have one. slip it over the end of the wrench or ratchet and turn. great leverage. just make sure the filter is still tight on the bracket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help. i'm gonna try again tomorrow and i'll let you know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tumbleweed on Mar/18/04 said:
How did it go? Did you get the filter off?
nah :(just ended up taking it to my friends at his shop and asked them to do it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey I hate to bring this up. But I recently tried to change mine. The nut wasn't moving. Now..I'm all for righty tighty, lefty loosey..but the nut is upside down..so unless its cross threaded shouldn't we be turning Clockwise..instead of counter clockwise?

·
Registered
128 Posts
BTW I messed up my bolt trying to get it off..anybody know how much that line costs?:( I'm going to take it to the dealer on the 19th.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I always picture the nut in my head as if I'm standing in front of it. That tells me what direction the wrench has to go.

There are special wrenches called "Flare Nut" wrenches specifically designed for taking off threaded metal lines like this. It's worth the investment. They're like a box end wrench with a slit you can slip over the metal line.

That line goes all the way back to the fuel tank. If I messed up the nut, I'd probably try to get some braided (steel jacketed) fuel line and another section of metal line from the junk yard and splice the two together with the braided line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem changing mine. I ended up taking off the top line and taking the bracket off the fire wall. So with the filter just hanging there, held by bottom line, i was able to use 2 wrenches to get it loose.
just a side note: CHANGE ALL THE COPPER WASHERS when changing the filter. u don't wanna be driving after the filter change with fuel spilling

1 - 20 of 31 Posts