Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the discussion about what octane should go in what model teg has been a popular one and I have done a search on this topic and read all that I can find on about it on this site.

My question here isn't about which octane I should be using, rather will I do any damage to the engine by going back to 89 octane gasoline when I've been using 93 for the past 2 years? I've heard mixed opinions about this so I'd like to kind of get an overall consensus from you all, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it will probably make a difference but if you follow your car manual it shouldn't hurt your engine or perforance. if someone could correct me or back me up on this?
p.s.~ not 100% sure but pretty positive i'm right...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
there are some people who actually believe that since higher octane lowers or slows the burn rate down of the air fuel mix, going to a slightly (93->91) lower octane will help performance. Faster burn may result in more complete burn in SOME engines. For those with high compression or FI it isn't a great idea but for the average bolt-ons only car, it may actually help...or so goes the theory.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
if all you have is a gs and you have not upped compression than dont go to 89. go to 87. thats all you need for a stock cr non-vtec. it can actually be worse to put in a higher octane, because higher octane fuel has more additives to it, so carbon diposits can build up with the use of a higher octane than you need. when i say it can be worse i mean very slightly be worse, and dont worry you did nothing to your car. just switch and save the money.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hootb18: You mentioned that the use of a higher octane gas in a non-vtec engine can cause carbon deposits to build up. Since I've been using 93 for a few years now I would imagine that's the case in my situation. once I make the switch back to a lower octane will those deposits remove themselves after I get into it a few times or is this something I need not worry about? Oh yeah, thanks for the re-assurance. I really appreciate it.

Mike: Are you a believer in that theory?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well as mike stated earlier and what i should have pointed out when i made my post as well is that it is a theory. but i would think that after a couple tanks of switching to 87 that the deposits would be removed because it would be a cleaner and more complete burn as mike stated earlier as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts