Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my brakes are SO low that there's a horrible grinding sound every time i stop. anyway, i'm going to honda today to get some front disc brake pads and i'm going to attempt to install it myself. I have a friend who did the install on his own teg, so I guess it wont hurt to learn something new about my car. How would i go about doing this pad install? thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It`s really easy - You just compress the caliper with a c-clamp, undo the bottom caliper bolt and rotate the caliper upward to remove the pads. If you already hear grinding sounds from your brakes you probably scored the rotors so you`ll have to replace those too.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah your rotors are probably toasted if you've been grinding them. I think some kind of shop manual for your car would be a good idea. Brake jobs just don't seem like something that I'd want to try and get away with doing blindly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can resurface your rotors for $10 a piece.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bleh..f-it...i just take it to honda and have them replace everything. one or both calipers are sticking so, either way i'm f-ed. ::sigh:: there goes like 800 dollars..

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i called honda...i said "my left front caliper is sticking, i need pads, and the rotors need replacing"...he told me about 275! i was like "uh..okay!" however that doesn't sound right i don't think he heard me correctly. so they can have me in next monday but i'll be coming home from Toronto meet that day...AHHH! i need these things fixed before the drive up to toronto (and the time trials this friday, tee-hee!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
go to your local autostore and pick up a repair manual. i did a full brake job pads and rotors, using the manual. also note that if you do it yourself, the rotors are held on with 2 philips head screws. i coudnt get the out(rust) so i drilled them out and let the wheel lugs hold them in place.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing brakes for the first time on mine... I went and spent $30 for an impact screw driver to get those damn screws off, then I find out that they aren't necessary and I don't have to put them back in. It turns out that they just hold the rotor to the hub, which the lugnuts do anyways; the screws were there just to make manufacturing the car easier or something. So, I could have just drilled them out, but I spent $30 instead, and now I'm broke until payday. :(

I got 3 of the 4 screws out. The 4th one stripped, so I'm going to have to finish drilling it out. I decided to get new rotors too since my stock ones are warped, so I'll complete the job as soon as I pick up some new rotors...

Anyways, I'm unsure about the compressing the caliper with the c-clamp part... Loe7677 said "You just compress the caliper with a c-clamp, undo the bottom caliper bolt and rotate the caliper upward to remove the pads."

That doesn't make sense to me... I thought I was supposed to unbolt the caliper, pull the old pads, compress the caliper piston so the new pads will fit, and then put the new pads in. Can someone explain this for me? My Chilton's manual is garbage. Also, how are the pads attached to the caliper? Thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
weston are you using "chilton acura coupes and sedans 1994-00 repair manual"?

cause i just ordered that one and im gonna be pissed if it sucks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
OMG I was about to blast all you mods and admins, since there are THREE how to articles, but then I noticed the dates of your posts....
Someone resurrected the dead!

well then, to answer your question Lenguaso, the Honda Acura Performance book retails for 18.99 to 20 and www.helminc.com has the actual shop manuals.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the Helms manual is NOT CHEAP! be prepped to spend $60 on that.

btw...i did the brake job myself and all went smoothly! even the caliper replacement. Since then i did my rear brakes too - so easy i can do it with my hands behind my back

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Jacksont001 on Dec/16/02 said:
OMG I was about to blast all you mods and admins, since there are THREE how to articles, but then I noticed the dates of your posts....
Someone resurrected the dead!
i was about to come in here and be linking to articles like a *****! lol

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
LOl. I was browsing waay old posts. And I wanted to know how much the Honda book was. Heh heh heh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts