Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everybody, so at 60,300 I did the scheduled maintenance to my 94 LS, which included changing the MTF. Now I bought the car at 47,000 last December, and idk what maintenance the dealership did to it before I bought it (if they had changed the MTF), but the shifting was pretty smooth. When I changed my MTF at 60k, I put in the OLD Acura MTF (the guy at the dealership told me to put that in, he said the new formula was made for Hondas/Acuras with 6 speed transmissions), and now my car is at 63,535 miles, and the shifting is just not smooth. At least, not as smooth as it was before I changed the fluid, the change is noticeably different.

The only thing that I can think that I did wrong was that I did not put a new crushed washer on the transmission when I replaced the bolt (I just used the old one). Is it possible that I just had a better MTF in the car before I changed it, and that's why I feel a difference now? Otherwise, should I just change the fluid again?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It has nothing to do with the crush washer, but it could have a lot to do with the fluid formula. I just have motor oil in mine. Mobil 1. You could try a different formula and see if it helps, but I'd look for a second opinion on that MTF. Maybe try the new formula.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Tranny's are funny like that. Chances are that the fluid had never been changed in that first 60K and had become really viscous. Now with fresh fluid, it probably feels more like it should, albeit not as "smooth". My suggestion would be, change it in another 1000 mi. or so to help flush out any debris and old fluid left behind.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
So you are using old fluid still?

Honda fluid is all I use and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
jojo on Oct/10/07 said:
So you are useing old fluid still?

Honda fluid is all I use and I've had no problems.
No, he's using the original formula Honda MTF, not the reformulated stuff for the 6 speeds.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I don't know why I got that mixed up.

Did you fill the tranny till the fluid was leaking out?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i filled it till it was leaking out the top, then put the bolt back in and tightened it down. I'm pretty sure I did everything right, its just doesn't shift smooth anymore...

·
Registered
800 Posts
I used the new honda mtf in my 01 gsr tranny and it's been fine. Although my dumbass forgot to put the washer in before putting the bolt on. Hasn't leaked yet so i'll just change it next time I do the fluid change.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
*** Removed by user at Oct 14 2007 5:02PM (Server Time) ***

LOL the guy who told you the new mtf should only be in 6speed should be fired. He is absolutely wrong! at my dealership, they dont even have the old stuff anymore. I recently changed my fluid at 57k, now at 59.5k with new honda mtf and it shifts a lot better. In the morning it shift smooth and going into second isnt as notchy.

i also put this new stuff in my friend 96 accord...shifts awesome

Go buy 3 quarts of the new honda mtf and put it in your car. make sure to let your car drain out all the old stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.