Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to Amsoil about 5 months and 4,000 miles ago. My mechanic says that I don't need to change it again until 10k or a year; but after reading a bunch of posts about synthetic oil I was wondering if anyone else waits that long. I've read some posts of people who say that 10k is way to long to wait to change it, even on Amsoil. Has anyone had any problems waiting the recommended time to change their oil, or is everyone just going by the rule that it is good to change it every 3k-5k miles?

·
Registered
480 Posts
you can send them a sample of your oil and they will run tests on it and give you feedback. the reason you change your oil is due to the amount of blowby gas products that travels into the oil. if you have less, then you can get away with a longer drain interval. I would suggest 5K-10K with the changing the SDF-20 filter every time as well. a old filter can drop oil pressure, its not worth it. if your oil stays clear to golden brown, keep it in. if it gets black, you have problems in your motor due to cooked piston rings and need to rebuild. the darker your oil gets the easier it is for it to break down your hydrodynamic wedge on your bearing surfaces causing wear. talk to the tech dept at amsoil they have a superior product, let them see your stuff and they will help you get the most for your money.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
What? 5-10K??? I would NEVER leave oil in my engine that long. I'm about 100 miles away from 3,000 right now and I'm worried about going over before I get to change it on Saturday.

5-10K???

Please don't go back to that mechanic, he is obviously trying to get some money out of you by wearing out your engine quickly...

Every 3K, you can stretch it to 4K with synthetic but I don't....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
All the oil experts I have talked to say that the whole "3,000 oil change" is the biggest paying marketing ploy in existance.

Not only for quick change oil places, but for oil companies, filter companies, auto supply store, etc

You will notice that even Acura recommends 7k miles between oil changes on dino oil. While I wouldn't stretch it that far, 5-7k on a high quality synthetic should be fine.

I drained my amsoil out after 5k and it looked golden and clean, I probably could have left it in for another few thousand miles.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would keep an open mind to the drain intervals that amsoil suggests. in higher revving engines like ours, they may suggest something different. like I said, call tech support.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I still stand by changing it at 3K...I just sleep easier that way....

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I'd like to see what Mike D would have to say about this....

·
Registered
389 Posts
They actually make mobil1 synthetic in the other part of the plant Im working at now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Over at maxima.org we have an oil analysis spreadsheet with different oils, ATF, etc. Amsoil is good for around 15-17k in the Maximas. I myself used to have a 94 civic EX. I changed the oil every 25k. I was using the 0w30 which is a 35k oil interval oil. I changed the filter every 10k. I put 300,000 miles on that civic and sold it to a Honda tech who tore the engine apart to see what damage the long drain intervals did. He's now using Amsoil. You can also check out www.motor-oil-bible.com. They tested over 40 different oils and tell you which oil is best in each weight. You'll be suprised at how bad Mobil 1 did. Amsoil didn't win in every weight, but was in the top 5 in every weight. They were 1st in the 0w30 and 5w30. Neo and Redline oils did well also.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Is that the old Mobil Trisynthetic formula 1fstmax? If it is, then that oil didn't have any zinc or moly in it, so that would explain that. The new Supersyn has both of those in it's new oil.

Redline is big on moly.
Amsoil is big on zinc.

And I wouldn't push Amsoil oil changes past 5k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was the older Mobil 1, but from the oil analysis over at maxima.org the new mobil 1 is actually worse than the old formula. It's breaking down way too fast. Don't get me wrong, Mobil 1 is very good oil.

About pushing the Amsoil past the 5k, again at maxima.org all of the oil was submitted for oil analysis at either oil analysers or blackstone labs for validation. Oil Analysers is owned by Amsoil. They don't give a very good report back. Blackstone lab on the other hand gives very detailed reports back and from their feedback, the Amsoil is good for around 15-17k.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
oil is 90% opinion, 7% religion and 3% fact. Ask this same question to 30 different people and you'll get 30 different answers. I go with what my dad taught me. I used to go about 7k at the most on dino (castrol). Resently went to sythetic for a track event (wanted some extra protection) and felt that the car started easier and ran smoother (mobil 1 supersyn, changed after that). I'll still go 5k-7k on sythetic oil and don't stress it. I also believe that the type of driving done plays a big role. I do mostly freeway driving and go longer because of it (less moisture gets in the oil during constant running and doesn't break it down as fast,that's a family belief
)
Justin K-We've been through these disscusions many times in the past. I think your DRAMAtizeing the subject a bit

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Haha zook...yeah we've been through this stuff before and you're absolutely right, everyone gives different answers.

It's all about what you belive in.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You know... the owners manual says to change your oil every 7500 miles. But, it also tells you that you need to check your oil level regularly, which you really do need to do (as I found out). Now why would Honda steer us wrong? I don't think them encouraging people to destroy their engines would be good for business, especially repeat customers.

So, I'd believe that the oil should last 7500 miles, but it has to stay in the engine... EVERYoNE LOSES OIL. As I found out, just because it doesn't leak or make white smoke doesn't mean that I'm not losing oil. So, if you try going 7500 miles and don't check your oil level, you may have your engine run out of oil. And if something's causing your oil to be unusually dirty, then you want to get that fixed.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Then change your oil at 7500 miles...nobody is telling you not to. When you have to do a rebuild on your engine, you'll learn out not to cheap out on certain things like oil. Changing your oil is one of the easiest things you can do, it's not rocket science so why make it into such a hassle?

BTW, the 7500 mile change interval has some prerequisites that you have to fulfill in order to let the change go that long...i.e. no city driving.

I personally, would never ever go past 5k with synthetic or dyno or anything. Other people will do other things.

These oil threads are always filled with so many opinions and they are pretty pointless because people are going to believe what they've believed their whole lives, and nobody is going to change that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I myself never go on heresay. I need clearcut proof through research and testing. The tests don't lie, but you can ignore them if you like! The truth is you won't notice any horsepower increases no matter what oil you use. The truth is, if you change oil every 3k miles you probably won't notice a big difference in any oil. Most of us won't keep our cars that long. one thing that most of us like is money however. If you can prolong oil changes for a few thousand miles and change your oil every 10-15k you'll save a ton of money over time. We have expert advise and research over at the org to prove or disprove any claims on oils. I change my wife's oil in her Durango once a year with 3 filter changes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
They don't have to be filled with opinions. People just need to read before posting biased information or their own opinion. Read the analysis data from a third party. Better yet, try 5k and get an oil analysis, then go 7500k and get one, and so on. It doesn't cost very much and you will know exactly how far your car can go on any particular oil without any problems. Don't ever base anything on opinion, get the facts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts