Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--- The only modifications to my car are: A K&N intake and piping. Stock Exhaust etc...

Just to get the record straight. I have passed smog at least 2 times before this incident. I have not added or removed anything since then.

Ok, according to the smog shop their computer read that my OBDII is saying that I have #1, #3, #4, pistons are misfiring and there is another code that they called "Manufactor Specific."

I know that there was a TSB released for all 1996 Acura's I have a 1996 GSR Coupe.

About one month ago I had the dealership replace the cap and rotor, plugs and oil change. According to them they did what was required under the TSB and the settlement with the EPA and the US government.

My problem is that the CEL came on about 3 days after the dealership performed their repairs. Well to make matters even worse I needed to renew my cars registration and get a smog check. I failed the smog check.

I took my car back to the dealer with the reslts from the smog check and they told me that they already performed the required repairs and said they would have to charge me:
#1 to smog the car at their dealership
#2 75.00 per hour, one hour min, estimated 3 hours worth of diagnostic work to figure out what is wrong.

This is bullsh*t. Anyway I refused to pay them and am wondering what my options are now. I am already late renewing my cars registration and have to pay late fees so i really dont want to drag this out in court or anything.

I have reset the compputer and the check engine light went off. SO I am crossing my fingers that at least for the short time it takes to smog my car that the CEL stays off.

After my smog check then I can take care of business with that dealership.

I also placed a paper clip to jump the CEL codes and the first time i did it the check engine light came back on but did not flash. Does this mean it is Code 0 ?

The second time I did it same thing.

The third time I did it, it didnt even come on.

I hope this is a good thing and I didnt short it or something.

Does anyone have any similair experiences? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

)())(WhiteRicer)()(()

·
Registered
825 Posts
I cant help you much... or at all....But I feel your pain. I would hate going through smog tests...Good ol florida.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i don't believe you can pull the ecu codes by jumping the wires on an obd 2 ecu. you do that on obd 1 cars. you need the scanner to pull codes from obd 2. i don't have any idea if trying to pull the codes can cause damage though. hope this helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mmm setting up illegal fraudulent deals over public message boards.. smart.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
purericangsr on Sep/17/02 said:
i don't believe you can pull the ecu codes by jumping the wires on an obd 2 ecu. you do that on obd 1 cars. you need the scanner to pull codes from obd 2. i don't have any idea if trying to pull the codes can cause damage though. hope this helps.
You can do it on all OBD systems.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I am not saying for sure that the dealer is at fault, but it wouldn't surprise me. They replaced ignition components, the problem developed shortly after this, and misfire codes are ignition related. I suggest that you call Acura Customer Relations at 1 (800) 382-2238 and explain the situation to them. This will get the dealer more concerned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone and especially Nam Myoho Renge Kyo:

Thank you so much for your replies.

I will take Nam Myoho Renge Kyo advice and call Acura Customer Service to see what they say.

And to IntegraBad18c:

I have 75,000 miles on my car.

I am going to pull my spark plugs and take a look at them. Part of the TSB was the dealership was supposed to replace my car and rotor and spark plugs. Since OBDII is saying I have misfires I figured if I pull the plugs it will show my if OBDII is correct or if it might be a sensor throwing OBDII off.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
WhiteRicer do as I tell you!

Go to the DMV and pay your freaken bill! If you wait longer it would only mean more late fees. They will accept the payment, but just won't give you the sticker. So in essence you paid it in time, but just need smog verification. and of course they can always get you if you don't get the smog verification because you don't have your sticker!

But please, if anything pay the dam bill so its taken care of. The longer you wait, the more late fee's you'll accumelate. once you've paid your fees, then you can take care of your other business, like getting it smogged and nailing the dealership if you want.

·
Registered
188 Posts
hey whiteracer, I can help you to pass the smog. where are you located at? let me know asap, i got hook up, so don't worry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sak on Sep/23/02 said:
WhiteRicer do as I tell you!

Go to the DMV and pay your freaken bill! If you wait longer it would only mean more late fees. They will accept the payment, but just won't give you the sticker. So in essence you paid it in time, but just need smog verification. and of course they can always get you if you don't get the smog verification because you don't have your sticker!

But please, if anything pay the dam bill so its taken care of. The longer you wait, the more late fee's you'll accumelate. once you've paid your fees, then you can take care of your other business, like getting it smogged and nailing the dealership if you want.
Thanks very much for your advice. Well said, i will take care of the registration now. And if anyone is wondering the dealership is Keys Acura in Van Nuys,CA. Don't go there. I am taking my car to 101 Acura in Calabasas, CA to complete the Emissions TSB.

thanks for all your help and suggestions, team-integra thank you too. Fricking awesome site with intelligent members. Peace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lakerschamp2000 on Sep/23/02 said:
hey whiteracer, I can help you to pass the smog. where are you located at? let me know asap, i got hook up, so don't worry.
lakerscamp2000, right on go lakers. Uhmmmm I appreciate what you are trying to do for me. I know what you mean, and not to worry I have proper connections if I need them. I just like to try everything the legal way first and then if I dont like it, well at least I tried!!!

>:)

But if you're wondering I live in the East Hollywood Area.

Thanks for your offer though. Very kind of you. Just hope your not a cop posting on message boards entrapping racers :) j/k

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Man.... I just failed my immisions test too. Damn Check Engine Light is on. Its throwing code 22 at me (Oil Pressure) so I go in to get an oil change. They fail me on the immisions test because of the code. They say that their computer is giving them a different code. WTF is up with that?? Now I have to take it to an Acura dealership and get it checked out. I was trying to avoid having to pay the fukin diagnostic fee by checking the code myself. Piece of sh*t David Early Tires!!!! Remind me not to go back to them.

They failed me on my safety inspection too. (as if I needed one done this year) OF COURSE I FAILED!! DIDN'T YOU CHECK OUT MY TINT WHEN I DROVE UP?? DO I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT? Why would I bring a car in with obvious tint problems into a reputable shop for a safety inspection?? Please.... Oh well. Off to Acura I go.

·
Registered
798 Posts
bringing back a old thread, but man i didn't pass smog either...

i failed the visual test, the guy said it was missing a "fuel evaporative control" im like wtf is that.

i had a feeling the guy didnt know what he was talking about. all i have on it is an exhaust, i did put some fuel treatment in and the tank is still half full, is that the problem? can taht fuel treament make my car run rich until the tank is over? man i hate this, i have 15 days!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Sep/28/02 said:
They say that their computer is giving them a different code.
Your blinky light codes and the specific codes are two different expressions of the same possible problem. The correct code is some alpha numeric combination.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts