Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'm all kinds of confused now.

I pulled a code 45 (too rich/too lean) and a code 14 (electronic air control) on my friends 00 Civic Si

Last night I pulled off the IACV (idle air control valve) and cleaned it out and re-installed it. Also reset the ECU. The CEL came on, and I was expecting to see the code 45, but it was the code 14!?! The code 45 is gone! I think the ECU is confused... is it normal to fix one thing and have it fix the wrong code? The IACV doesn't do anything with the fuel system, just the idle, right? And after cleaning it out, the car idles just fine now. So now the car is acting fine, the IACV is clean, but I'm pulling a code 14... I don't get it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MD to the rescue again! You rock dude!

Why would that fix the code 45 though? Should I just pull the harness apart and clean it? and do the same at the ECU?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
well the code 14 is an idle control problem. if the code 45 happened during idle then the 2 are inter-related. If the code 45 happened after idle and while you were driving they are unrelated. You can't pull 2 codes off the CEL simultaneously. So the events happened independently. one after the other...not simultaneously...unless you know how to pull 2 codes from a CEL...no-one I know does but there's always a first time for anything.

the code 14 is isolated probably to the iacv or iacv connection. If cleaning the connection doesn't work then you need a new iacv. I wouldn't rip apart a system unless you think the problem is down by the ecu pin. the proper way to test it is to use an ohm meter across the connector prongs and eliminate each part that might be causing the problem in order systematically...no guessing....of course a Helms manual can show you how to go thru the diagnostics.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... about the pulling 2 codes at once... umm... it went like this... B=long blink b=short blink

Bbbbb(14)BBBBbbbbb(45)BbbbbBBBBbbbbb.... and so on.

now it's just going like this...

Bbbbb(14) Bbbbb Bbbbb

I'll mess with the connections and see if that clears it up. Otherwise, i'm just gonna tell him to bring it to the place that he got it tuned at and have them fix it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
can anyone write up a way to go through the dianostics for the people who doesn't have a helms manual.
What if it was the wiring? How do you fix that?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
96blackgsrteg on Sep/14/04 said:
can anyone write up a way to go through the dianostics for the people who doesn't have a helms manual.
What if it was the wiring? How do you fix that?
We already do.

Check here

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you clean it with a carbon cleaner spray?? And did you shake it up and down to see if gunk comes out?? Other wise it could be that you need a new IACV or the is a vaccum leak.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'm having the 14 CEL and from what i've read this is either a bad iacv or a dirty/clogged one correct? i'm gonna take it apart and clean it this afternoon. I just ran it the other night at the track, could this have caused anything? first time it's been run hard in a while

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
try to get the Acura service perosn or a friend with a scanner to pull the P scanner code off for you. The CEL 14 is what we call an MIL code. the scanner will pinpoint exactly where the problem resides along your IACV : sensor, valve, or connection to sensor or connection to ECU.

P0505ICS Malfunction

P1508IAC Valve Circuit Failure

P1509IAC Valve Circuit Failure

P1519Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Failure

these are all CEL 14 codes.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
its on the IM facing towards the rear end of the car. theres 2 hoses for coolant that go there. one hose comes from under the TB and the other hose goes back to the head.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same problem with my friends 99' Civic Si
He sprayed some TB Cleaner into his TB while the car was running now hes getting the CODE 14, when the Engine Light comes on his Idle is not steady, but the idle would jump up and down.

Followed the Flow chart in the Factory Honda Manual, eliminated all most possible problems, and replaced the IACV with a OEM one straight from Honda.
But the problem persists....any Ideas what this could be?

Do I measure resistance or voltage ,on the IACV Connector pins? Im not that good with electrical , what should the reading be at ? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i dont know if im at the right place but yeah anywase my cel will blink 4 times real fast and then pause and then blink and stay on for 5 sec and then pause and blink again 4 times really quick over and over again...what code is that

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
okk i just pulled my CEL code it was 14... and it was P0505 i noticed MD said that its the ICS malfunction... but wtf is ICS??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts