Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a catch can in my gsr about 2 months ago almost, and i noticed everytime i checked my oil no oil seemed to be "catching" in the can. I just checked it again and noticed that the oil seems to be pooling in the line from the pcv valve to the can. Is this normal? Do i need a new pcv valve for some reason? Should i worry about this at all? Any help would be appreciated.

Its a cusco catch can if that matters.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright...i've got a line coming from my pcv valve on the breather box on the back of the engine to one side of the catch can. Then i've got another line coming from the other side of the catch can to the IM.

I'm not sure if there are specific sides that go to specific parts(PCV Valve/IM) but i tried to match up the set up as best i could with the pictures in the directions. The words were in japanese so i had no clue.

To describe the can itself and where its at. I mounted it right next to my intake on one of the brackets from the stock air box. The way the cusco bracket is made it worked out really well and the can is completely upright.
The can itself looks completely sealed so i couldn't take it apart to check if it was baffled or not. The shop i bought it from said it was but ya never know.

Also i didn't think about this till after i posted but the car has been sitting for about almost a week and i only drove around town a little bit today never really got the revs up real high or anything could this have anything to do with?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure how to get the breather box off or what to put in its place? So would I do to set the system up like the one in the picture? Is the length of the hose because the can is down next to my abs unit a problem?Sorry for all the questions just trying to get it right...next second time

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So should I remove the breather box(bolts onto the block?) get a connector like similar to the one you have(part # anyone?) and run a line to my pcv valve, i'm thinking run it to where the one in the picture is...i have a skunk2 IM too so there is the hole for the pcv to fit right there...then run the lines to the catch can?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I looked at the BSQ directions and they made sense, but the c-speed ones are the ones i followed originally and maybe i misinterpreted the part where they said if you had a factory pcv system just hook one line from your pcv valve to the catch tank and another line from the catch tank to the IM...not taking out the breather box. Did i just read this wrong or what?

I know the breather box is useless otherwise why would this oil be coming out of the pcv valve right? But is it that important to the purpose of the catch tank to remove it, and would removing it eliminate the problem of the oil collecting in the line and not the tank(i drove a little harder after i thought of that but it was dark so i couldn't see whether that fixed the problem or not)

If i just sound like a complete idiot here just correct me i can take it haha.Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I don't have a Cusco catch can but the rules must be similar across all catch cans. Your catch can serves as the breather box now. Your stock breather box is pretty much useless here. As long as all of the lines that are routed are accounted for and you close off any open lines, you won't get any vacuum leak.

Secondly, if you have a line like I do that drains back to the oil pan, then you should not have any oil in the can anyway. Endyn set it up this way so you don't have to go and empty the can every 2 weeks if it fills with oil and does not drain back to the engine.

Thirdly, the Endyn can is heavily baffled. This assures that the vapors are indeed caught by the can. I have nit looked inside a Cusco one to know how much baffling there is and if it as good as the Endyn one at catching the vapors. I assume for the price you pay for these, it should catch the vapors well.

Larry at Endyn told me that they basically took a Moroso can and added more baffles internally.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
MD,
Did you read this quote?
He is talking about a PCV valve equipped system yet states that

from Jensen's Toyota Supra website said:
The only exit for these pent up gases is through your various seals or the breather hose barb at the top of each valve cover. The breathers can technically be located anywhere in the engine, but are put here since this is the best place to keep oil losses to a minimum. The barbs are baffled within the valve cover to try and keep mostly vapor coming out .

He just didn't state that the vapor only comes out the valve cover when the PCV valve to IM connection can't flow enough to keep up with the blowby which happens at high load/rpm.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The restriction in a closed system is the PCV valve. The Endyn system will not flow any more than the stock system when it is used closed with a PCV valve for this reason. Under high vacuum the flow is through the PCV side and governed by the PCV valve. Under low IM vacuum the flow will be mainly through the valve cover outlet, so the Endyn system still will not flow any more. If the Endyn system is used open it will indeed have higher flow capacity at high load/rpm. If used closed it will separate the vapor better when there is flow through it (low load/high IM vacuum) - it won't be an advantage under high load/rpm because the flow is not through it; it is out the valve cover opening.

·
Registered
176 Posts
how bad is it on your engine if your pcv valve is not connected? yes I know its illegal(or so I was told)
What, if any performance losses am I getting from not having it?
I have a 94 ls

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I don't see the difference. The Honda has one breather hose from the valve cover that runs to the intake tube before the throttle body and the Supra has two hoses that run from the valve covers to the upstream side of the throttle body - this is functionally the same system. Am I correct on the Supra setup?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts