Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a code 67 (catalytic systems) and I've been running with the CEL on for about 3 months now. Its getting close to inspection time and a friend of mine said he would replace my catalytic converter for me(thats what i figure the problem is). I planned on buying one of the high flow cats off eBay but I've heard these don't fix the CEL, is this true?? could the code 67 I got be something else?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
babalonius on Sep/18/07 said:
So I got a code 67 (catalytic systems) and I've been running with the CEL on for about 3 months now. Its getting close to inspection time and a friend of mine said he would replace my catalytic converter for me(thats what i figure the problem is). I planned on buying one of the high flow cats off eBay but I've heard these don't fix the CEL, is this true?? could the code 67 I got be something else?
MOST of the "hi flow cats" on ebay aren't cats at all. They're just pipes, without any type of emissions element in them.

The CEL you're throwing is most likely due to your secondary O2 sensor receiving information that tells it the cat isn't functioning.

If it were my car, i'd call the dealer about it. I'm not sure about you, but I received a few letters from Acura telling me that there's an extended (to 150K) warantee on certain emission components (the cat included). If the cat is throwing a code, they'll replace it for free.

Call the dealer. Don't put an eBay pipe in there. At the very least, get an exhaust warehouse cat, they're cheap and direct fit. But i'd bet the dealer will replace the cat for free.

-Nick

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this problem earlier this summer. I went to autozone and got the FREE diagnostic test and found out there was something wrong with my first o2 sensor. My problem was the four wires connecting in the o2 sensor had become completely disconnected. Check if this is your problem before you buy a new cat(which is most likely not the problem) or o2 sensor. If the wires are disconnected it is almost impossible to push them back in so what i did was splice them back together and the CEL is now gone and i passed emissions fine.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
1996tegGSR on Sep/20/07 said:
I had this problem earlier this summer. I went to autozone and got the FREE diagnostic test and found out there was something wrong with my first o2 sensor. My problem was the four wires connecting in the o2 sensor had become completely disconnected. Check if this is your problem before you buy a new cat(which is most likely not the problem) or o2 sensor. If the wires are disconnected it is almost impossible to push them back in so what i did was splice them back together and the CEL is now gone and i passed emissions fine.
Do you have any pics showing what you did and where?
I as others would be interested cause I have a similar issue. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have no pics, I was not an active member of TI when I solved this problem although two of the articles on this site helped me out tremendously. My problem was my first o2, but I think this fix would be the same for the other o2 sensor I dont see why they wouldn't be similar but I dont know for sure so someone correct me if I am wrong.

The first o2 sensor is located at the front and on top of the cat(if your lying under your car) and I believe the second is at the end of the cat. My problem was all four wires were disconnected from the plug in while the sensor was still attached to the cat. Here is the link to show you where each wire should be put back. There is a specific order.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/d...=7&TopicID=97265&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

once you have figured out which wire goes where, which is tricky when your under the car, you should cut the the wiresincluding the harness and make an electrical connection using the soldering technique. The reason I cut the wires is, if you try to do this you will realize it is basically impossible to plug the wire back into the plug-in because of the rubber gromets around the wires. If you are unable and willing to learn there is a soldering 101 in the articles section. Although if you for some reason are unable to solder or dont want to you could probably use an electrical tape but i would recommend soldering the wires together.

I realize this may not be the right way to solve this problembut it does work and its alot cheaper than a new o2 sensor!

Sorry there are no pics I realize this makes it difficult but I tried to explain it the best I could and the links should really help out!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont really know if it's "common" but I've heard of it happening so somehow they come loose. Mine came loose after I installed my crappy knock off brand headers which needless to say took alot of yanking and jerking the exhaust system to get them to fit. But gl in finding your solution I hope it is something as simple as the wiring because new o2 sensor =$ even though it sounds like alot its really just connecting wires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to autozone yesterday and got the diagnostics scan done and found out that the CEL is on due to "Catalytic Failure" caused by either and Engine misfire or running condition, large vacuum leak, or engine oil leakage into the exhaust-valve guide seals-piston rings...are these problems that I can fix myself? if not how costly are they?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have yet to try resetting the light, I'm not really sure how to do it...but its funny that you said that because I have been getting terrible gas mileage recently but I never thought that had anything to do with it...what does this mean?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if I did my math right I'm getting close to 9 miles a gallon before my gas light comes on, does that have any connection with the CEL? The guy at the muffler shop said my cat looked fine so I am still left with questions...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Wow, are you serious? You're getting 9 mpg?? Check your spark plugs and stuff. Are you getting any stuttering or hesitation? 9 mpg in an Integra... there's gotta be a serious issue there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No there is not any major stuttering/hesitation and yes the mpg is really bad lol, I'm just hoping there is not something major wrong...from what Ive read so far it looks to be a misfire/running condition but I'm not to sure what direction to go...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I would check the spark plugs and if you haven't replaced the distributor cap and rotor recently, you may want to replace those too. If you're getting 9 mpg though... you should notice a big loss of power/responsiveness from before the problem arose. I don't really know a whole lot about the compression and leakdown stuff, but I'm sure someone else could advise you on whether or not that is the problem. Definitely try a basic tune-up on it though if you haven't already done that (check spark plugs and wires, replace if necessary; distrib. cap and rotor). Also, try calculating your mpg again to make sure you did it right. The easiest way to estimate is to completely fill up your tank and reset your trip odometer. Then when you go to fill up again, fill the tank all the way up again, then look at your trip odometer and divide the number of miles by the number of gallons you put in. I usually get like 27-28 around the city driving somewhat aggressively sometimes, and somewhere around 30+ on the highway (got 32 yesterday from Tally to Orlando, w00t).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.