Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, maybe you guys can help me out with this issues I've been having for the last 3 years now.

I own a 98' Acura Integra GS, it's all stock and non vtec.

Every time when it comes to go do a smog check, I end up having a bad catalytic converter. This is already the 3rd time I've had to replace the CAT due to it failing and deteriorating from the inside.

I still can't figure out the reason or problem as to why this continues to happen. Two years ago I replaced the CAT, it passed smog okay. The following year I had to do the same thing over again. Last year I replaced both O2 sensors and the CAT once again and it passed.

This time I took my car to my friend's shop so we can scan it and look at the monitors before I get a smog check. It shows that the CAT is incomplete as well as the O2 sensor and the Evaporative System is incomplete.

Anyone have any ideas or helpful information that can help me figure out the issue with my car??
We are thinking that maybe the ECU or ECM might have gone bad and probably that may be the reason, but not entirely sure.

I would appreciate any and all the help I can get to resolve this headache already, please and thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aftermarket catalytic converters are only good for 20,000 miles, they use less precious metals than oem cats.

If your engine burns oil or is in poor condition you will foul 02 sensors and catalytic converters even faster so keep that in mind.

This used to happen to me, by the time my two years for smog were up the cat that I had installed for the last smog was no good.
My solution was to buy a new bolt in cat or a lower mileage oem cat that’s known to be good and ONLY use it for smog, after you smog your car put your old no good cat back on. Same thing with 02 sensors, buy a new upstream and down stream 02 and only install them for smog and remove them and reinstall your old ones when your done smogging.

A oem cat will last 100,000 miles to 200,000 miles depending on if you engines burning oil and the condition it’s in. Aftermarket cats are good for 20,000-30,000 miles max.

As for your monitors being incomplete it usually takes a 200 mile drive cycle to set all the monitors sometimes more. Do a 200 mile drive cycle and keep the car in gear when decelerating and stopping/slowing down if it’s a manual transmission.

If You complete the drive cycle and the monitors still won’t set then you have a problem somewhere that won’t let the ecu mark the monitors as ready.

Most common cause for incomplete evap monitor is a bad gas cap, If it’s not the cap then inspect all the evap hoses and charcoal canister for cracks.

The 02 sensor monitor is one of the hardest to get the ecu to mark as completed, this is why I said to keep the car in gear while decelerating because it’ll help it get proper readings faster. If your cat is bad the 02 sensors monitor might not set because the 02 readings between the upstream and down stream 02 don’t show the ecu that the catalytic converter is cleaning up the exhaust gasses.

catalytic converter monitor won’t set if the upstream and down stream 02 are reading close the same readings(meaning your catalytic converter isn’t doing its job)

To pass smog every time is usually do the following
Fresh tune up, set timing to 14-16 degrees depending on how much nox the engine produces, install smog only cat and 02 sensors and run a bottle of some Techron fuel system cleaner. Then complete your drive cycle.

hopefully all of your monitors will set after doing all this and your car can pass smog.

Also First try to complete a full drive cycle and see if that helps before you start replacing parts so you don’t spend unnecessary amounts of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Inmotion96 Omg thank you so much for all of this information and the feedback! Truly man, I appreciate your thorough response and explanation on the steps I should take and how to tackle these problems. Now I know exactly where to start and how to eliminate all my issues!

Thank you!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts