Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MD: i've been thinking about purchasing one of these based on your articles and reccomendations from others.. however, i also heard a lot about them breaking.. surfer x is an example of a carsound cat gone bad.. SMSP states that he does a little extra welding to stop the rattling.. however, is this the cause of the cat to go bad? are there any other alternatives aside from carsound?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes CATCO, Jackson Racing, Comptech, Jeggs, Random, OBX, Arospeed, etc. all make aftermarket cats....I can't vouch for the fitment or longevity...I do know the people that I recommend sell a good fitting, long lasting Carsound....

I got my Carsound from John at Hytech when I got his header but SurferX tells me he uses another brand now...not sure what it is. My Carsound is fine.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My Carsound was an older model and I've been told they updated it a more welds. Dave has said that running rich is the cause of the failure of the Carsounds. Carsound attributed it to being "poorly tuned". My car was just stock with a JDM header so I don't see how tuning had anything to do with it as I would expect it to work on a basically stock vehicle such as that. I don't think I've heard of problems with Dave's version of the Carsound cat, I think the updated version may not break apart as mine did. When I pick my car up at HyTech next weekend hopefully I can get some pictures of what happened to it as it will finally be off my car.

John has switched from using Carsounds to Renaults on the HyTech exhaust systems. The Renault cat I can say is definitely a very high quality OEM-like cat which he says is guaranteed to 100,000 miles. The cat is super strong too, he dropped his test model on the floor and it was perfectly fine. He then dropped a Carsound right in front of me and the bricks inside busted apart. I'm not sure how readily available the Renaults are, perhaps you could get one through HyTech.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when u talk about renault.. r u taking about the europeon automobile company? or is there another company called Renault that make cats alone?

the cat that smsp sells seems to be a little steep imo..

thanks for the info

·
Registered
586 Posts
man.....i just got my carsound cat from IPS Racing 4 days ago, and now im hearing bad things about it. Its alright, as long as i take care of it it should be ok...i hope.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I think the IPS Racing and SMSP Carsounds are fine. I got mine before I knew about either of them from some hillbilly exhuast shop. Mine was the old model as it did not have the extra welds.

Renault from what John has told me is a company that mainly produces OEM cats for diesel engines. I don't know how the cat that is included with the HyTech exhaust packages is different than Renault's OEM diesel cats though. John's used and tested the Renault cats on his recent Ferrari and McLaren projects and they've worked out wonderfully from what he told me. You can contact him and ask how much he would charge for just a cat with pre-welded flanges. I'm guessing it would cost more than SMSP's custom Carsounds though as the Renaults aren't as inexpensive or readily available as the Carsounds are.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
people complaining of carsound's material breaking apart really worries me. i think they only give a one year warranty? and that doesnt include welding on new flanges..

its funny cuz you could drop a bomb on the oem cat and the catalyst material wouldnt even chip. even when i was hammering at it with a chizel it put up quite a fight. now if that is cuz of the boat anchor iron case and flanges or the catalyst i dont know.

how does the carsound perform better anyways? i looked inside and the material looks just as porous as any other cat. as to the size of each individual honeycomb i dont know, but it does use two pieces that block the entire pathway.

i think someone said smsp charges about 170 for flanges and bung? ive seen them go for around 100 bare, and i can have the shop weld on flanges for 25. aside from maybe securing the heatshield better, do you guys have anything i should tell the shop to do to it?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i'm happy with my Random Technologies cat. fit's perfect right out of box too.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
talk to me in a year about that random cat...

I can only tell you my experience...not what I hear....Dave's and Mike's cats fit, no leaks, perform well, and have run over 2 years on several people's cars with big headers and engines daily driven that I know. I run on a Carsound..no issues yet.

I don't sell Carsound. I don't get any commission or kickbacks or freebees from any of the people I recommended. I suggest them based on their track record and customer service. Think about it. 3-4 yrs ago finding a 2.5 in. aftermarket cat to complete the exhaust system on a big header was unheard of...now it's common place. Back then random was the only show in town..trust me, I've seen so many of those things fail within 1 yr. , it was getting to be a joke amongst us up here. We had to put up with that, since there was no other choice...then Adrian Teo started selling his customized Carsound cats for a lot of people and then that Comptech cat test popped up and more became available to the import market. Random actually had a recall at one point for their Honda cats...you couldn't give one away to me for free...John tried...he had one sitting in his shop and offered it as a freebee just to get rid of it...I declined the "offer"....

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Be very careful getting a blank cat and having a muffler shop do the flanges. I went through hell having this done and wish I would have known about SMSP's service back then. Definitely I would choose to go with SMSP's pre-welded Carsounds anyday over a blank muffler shop special. Ick that was the worst thing I ever did to my car you can read in the Project Car section my story with that. Never will I visit a muffler shop again. I think HyTech has somehow become my permanent place for exhaust related stuff now anyway haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a SMSP pre-welded carsound cat? Do you need anything else to put it on?

·
Registered
404 Posts
does anyone have a link or website of any "good" carsound dealers? that would be great thanks

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Michael Delaney on Oct/03/02 said:
talk to me in a year about that random cat...

I can only tell you my experience...not what I hear....Dave's and Mike's cats fit, no leaks, perform well, and have run over 2 years on several people's cars with big headers and engines daily driven that I know. I run on a Carsound..no issues yet.

I don't sell Carsound. I don't get any commission or kickbacks or freebees from any of the people I recommended. I suggest them based on their track record and customer service. Think about it. 3-4 yrs ago finding a 2.5 in. aftermarket cat to complete the exhaust system on a big header was unheard of...now it's common place. Back then random was the only show in town..trust me, I've seen so many of those things fail within 1 yr. , it was getting to be a joke amongst us up here. We had to put up with that, since there was no other choice...then Adrian Teo started selling his customized Carsound cats for a lot of people and then that Comptech cat test popped up and more became available to the import market. Random actually had a recall at one point for their Honda cats...you couldn't give one away to me for free...John tried...he had one sitting in his shop and offered it as a freebee just to get rid of it...I declined the "offer"....
I've had it on for about a year. No problems with it so far. Put about 8-9000 miles through it... including racing... racing gas... and quite a bit of other abuse. I'm not saying it's the best, just offering another option that's out there for cats. It's good to know that you don't like them. ever think they might have improved their quality in the last 3-4 years? just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
quality aside.

Random Tech 2.25" 297.1 cfm
Car Sound 2.25" 342.7 cfm

cfm = flow capacity in cubic feet per minute

The carsound still outflows the Random by 15%

1 - 20 of 22 Posts