Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I got mine, I expected to have no problems, but after a couple months it started throwing a CEL for insufficient catalyst. I dug around on here and found a thread where people seemed to think that was kinda normal.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Is there a higher recommended one really? I mean there's the renault cat that you get with the hytech system but...

Anyhow, I suppose you can't ruin a testpipe with fuel!

Here's my question though: How can you tell if a testpipe has been ruined? When you look through it with a flashlight, will you be able to see the problem?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I know the Random Technology ones have a warenty, NoSpeedLimit had one on his car went bad and they replaced it free of charge

·
Registered
704 Posts
my thought exactly chris...i want one to complete my exhaust setup..was gonna purchase one with the purchase of a comptech header but why bother if its going to cause more problems than having a stock cat.would a ls with just i/h/c/e run any richer or leaner to need fuel tuning to prevent premature cat failure?.any other suggestions?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I have also "heard" of my horror stories of the Random tech cats. I really don't see a point in replacing my stock one if I will have to buy more than 1 carsound.

once I get my exhaust on, I plan on tuning the car. So if this problem is eliminated after that I will have no worries.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a Carsound Cat just recently "hollowed" out because the filter was dislodged (aparently to either ice wedging as result of water build up, or running rich which can't be tested for my purpose) Currently I am waiting to replace mine because it is hollow and a basic straight pipe but not restrictive enough. Anyway, Airmass aparently has a relatively affordable one with a warranty and is aparently of good quality. IF anyone has an Airmass Cat message me as I am interested into there quality.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
So I think the point we're getting at is if it isnt OEM then its just not gonna last especialy with improper tuning

·
Registered
704 Posts
i hope there not made by the same people cause them renaults are a pos..lol...would a itr cat be a decent upgrade if i wanted to have an oem cat beteen my header and exhaust...will it breathe better than the ls cat with those other exhaust components...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Hytech is where you can get Renault cats. Ferrari uses Renault cats.

they're not pos...they aren't cheap either.

if you read the cat article here, we have Comptech's flow capacity test many years ago of the Carsound/Magnaflow cat vs. Random vs. Catco vs. OEM

The flow capacity differences are huge.

time to catch up and get on the same page.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The whole fact that the Honda OEM cat costs about $1000 means that OEM will last much longer - more than 100kmiles I'm sure. Anything cheaper in price is cheaper in quality - what can you expect from a $150 cat?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well usually you are replacing the cat because you need a higher flow cat. If stock was okay with a nicer header and exhaust i'd stick with it, but ya gotta get the higher flow....

If you dont have a setup then stick to OEM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.