Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1994 Acura Integra LS 5 Speed, at first driving it was great as I would generally only drive it in the afternoon, however since school has started and I have to wake up before the sun rises when it’s still fairy cold after I start the motor I can’t shift it into any gear. It refuses to and occasionally will make a grinding sound, but in the afternoon once it is warmer it will shift perfectly fine.

I can still start it in gear and take off that way and shift via rev matching and after 5-10 minutes of driving like that it will suddenly work great. However when I start it in gear even if I have the clutch pushed in all the way it will still pull and I have to hold the brake to prevent the car from rolling. But once the car gets warmed up this no longer happens and even in first gear when I press the clutch it works as it should and it no longer pulls, possibly the clutch isn’t disengaging/engaging when it’s cold?

The guy I bought it from said he put a Stage 3 racing clutch in it less than 500 miles ago so I’m thinking it’s possible he messed something up when installing it.

·
Administrator
3,929 Posts
Typically, what you've described is the characteristics of a bad clutch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize I don’t know too much about this kind of stuff but if it was a bad clutch wouldn’t it just not work all the time, it works great during the day, shifts fine, pulls fine, etc

·
Administrator
3,929 Posts
Not necessarily. Differences in temp can make anything not act 100%.

I'm not saying it's definitely your clutch, I'm saying what you're describing are the typical characteristics of something wrong with the clutch. With any vehicle that I've ever had and worked on, when it's hard or almost impossible to get into gear, the clutch needs replaced.

Have you checked the master cylinder for the clutch? Is it full? Is the slave cylinder extending all of the way when cold?

If the above checks out ok, then you have a possible issue with the clutch itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts