Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Ok, i had a intake fitted to the car (a '96 GSR/VTiR) in 3" piping with K&N filter and heat shield a few days ago. Problem is, since then it will not idle high enough, as in instead of idling at 1500rpm when cold, it tries to idle at 200rpm, and pretty much hovers between 200 and 400rpm when its warm.

Now i will be taking it back to the workshop, i'm sure somethings not adjusted right or a wire is loose, but i was wondering if you guys can think of a reason for this to happen, oh, no aftermarket computers or anything, just a cat back exhaust is only other engine mod.

Any help is appreciated guys (wont be replying for about 14 hours as its evening down here in australia).

Cheers

·
Registered
480 Posts
sounds like they messed with some things there buddy. Things to check:

TPS to MAP plug swap
loose spark wires, or improperly installed for firing order
something electrical
they drove it and bent your valves misshifting the car...
hmm. have a compression test done...

good luck. these cars dont F up unless someone tries.

mike

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
once the car comes up to normal operating temp. it will idle at the normal rpm. What the "normal" idle is I am not sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok

So the OEM tach doesn't read below 500rpm?, so what are those markings under the 1000rpm representing or are they 100 rpm gradients down to 500rpm?

for the compression test and bent valves, wouldn't that affect the car runs all the time, i.e. when driving as well, coz that is still fine, its only the idle, and even then mainly the cold idle.

And for adjusting the idle myself, i knew how to do that (thanks anyways) but being as it is the cold idle, and not the warm idle really, i think adjusting it will just hide the problem, in that it will still idle too low when cold (though slightly higher) but too high when warm.

Also, i don't think its anything to do with normal wear and tear, coz it was fine before hand, and now its not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts