Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I brake realy hard and come to a stop I hear this clunk noise. I am not realy sure any other way to desribe it. You can feel it on the passenger side more than the driver side. This happened before but then it went away; currently it is gone again. Would a bad axle do this, I'm just wondering cuz when I brake now the abs is super choppy then when I get to low enough speeds it stops being choppy. I checked the rotors and pads on another car so that is not the prob. I was wondering if these two are related. The car has about 130k on it, is it time for a new axle??

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
when you say "checked another cars rotors and pads" did you just look at them? Sounds like the rotors are warped (that's not the ABS Pulsing). You can't check the rotors for warpage by looking at them. When was the last time a brake job was performed? Because it sounds like it's time.

And as for the clunk, it could be possible that a caliper bolt is loose and the caliper is banging/clunking on something.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean I swapped them out cuz I was like wtf. How can the caliper bolt be loose. You mean like gone so the caliper is swinging there is only to bolts holding the caliper on the only way for it to clunk is if one is missing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My car was doing this about a year ago.
What happened with mine was one of the two bolts that hold the Calipher to the car had fallen off and everytime I used the brakes it caused the part to rotate a little and hit the rotor.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
jabbervinai on Feb/16/06 said:
I mean I swapped them out cuz I was like wtf. How can the caliper bolt be loose. You mean like gone so the caliper is swinging there is only to bolts holding the caliper on the only way for it to clunk is if one is missing.

It helps to use punctuation and to type "clearly" so that we can understand you. Otherwise we are just as lost as you in solving this problem.

Quote: Chfire2004 on Feb/16/06 My car was doing this about a year ago.
What happened with mine was one of the two bolts that hold the Calipher to the car had fallen off and everything I used the brakes it caused the part to rotate a little and hit the rotor.
this is exactly what I was talking about.

The bolt doesn't have to be gone to cause a problem. Even if the bolt is backed out say half a turn, it will give the caliper enough play to move around under braking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK checked the caliper bolts, camber kit arms, and shocks. I ended up taking everything apart and putting it back together. I made the camber arms a little tight incase that was it. So they groan a little bit. The problem is gone for now but this happened the last time a jacked it up to see if anything wa loose. It went away for a few days and then came back. Also an update it started to clunk a little when I turned, but currently ther is nothing

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
RacerZook on Feb/16/06 said:
Quote: Chfire2004 on Feb/16/06My car was doing this about a year ago. What happened with mine was one of the two bolts that hold the Calipher to the car had fallen off and everything I used the brakes it caused the part to rotate a little and hit the rotor.

this is exactly what I was talking about.

The bolt doesn't have to be gone to cause a problem. Even if the bolt is backed out say half a turn, it will give the caliper enough play to move around under braking.

Right!

I've posted this picture a few times.

Those are the brake caliper housing bolts. Not only do you need to make sure they are tight, but also lubed up. Pop those suckers open and see if they are dry as a dessert. Lube both up with new hi-temp grease. I use hi-temp sythetic grease on cars I work on.

BTW, here is a picture of them on the caliper:

Front

Rear

you can't see them in the caliper picture because its inside the boot. The smaller screw nut in the first picture is the one that you see holding the caliper housing bolts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After I tightened the camber arms down it got worse so I am going to take them off again and then re grease them and see if that helps. I checked the caliper bolts already and as I stated I took them off and re-installed them there is without a doubt no play in them whatsoever.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is an Idea... maybe a notion of something that you might want to consider....(happend to me as well)
I have had that problem ... ( not in my teg)but in another import I've had.
I did all the things that you have done and still had the same issue come and go etc. everything looked good but the same problem occured. I eventually found out from the brake guy that my caliper would only put soo much pressure at first, and then apply almost 5x the pressure it should at the end, or when the braking is almost done. thus in turn the force made that side ( or the car) make a clunking sound.)
eventually I put in new calipers and i put in a new .....( the name slips my mind but its the device that regulates the fluid to proper to spec)
but in the end though it never had it happen again.( doesnt mean that you can't rebuild the caliper to save money though) but that was what it was for me.
not saying this is your problem but I have occured that issue in the past. , but mabye somn to look at though.
* couldnt tell you if it was my caliper or the mechenism that controls the brake fluid, i had both done... but hope it will help, if not... i tried

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
jabbervinai on Feb/16/06 said:
After I tightened the camber arms down it got worse so I am going to take them off again and then re grease them and see if that helps. I checked the caliper bolts already and as I stated I took them off and re-installed them there is without a doubt no play in them whatsoever.
No play? There is suppost to be play in them as the caliper glides on them.

You should seriously look nto some suspension componenst as well since the camber botlts made it worse.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You tell me. You said it got worse witht he camber bolts being tighten down. Start there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.