Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something I was thinking about today. I'm wondering what is the justification for the costs of car audio products? I recently bought a surround sound system for my house consisting of 5 speakers (100W), subwoofer, DVD player with S-Video and Component video outputs plus optical and coaxial audio outputs, home theater rack, and stereo receiver w/ decoding for Pro-Logic, DTS, and Dolby Digital 5.1. I got the whole thing for $400. Now I go to look at ways to upgrade my car audio a little bit and for that price all I get is a CD player that maybe can play MP3's if I get a "cheap" one.

Now I'm wondering what's up with that. What makes car audio so much more expensive than home audio? Is it the fact that the products have to be designed to withstand more extreme temperatures? Or is it just due to extreme markups because people will actually pay that much for things to put in their car? I've been debating forever to add an amp to my system to make it sound better but the cost for the amp and install would be about what my home theater setup was and it's difficult to justify the costs. What really makes car audio so much more expensive?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i'm real big on home audio, the system in my room is probally worth close to 4000 dollars the thing is i only use name brand stuff and i keep it the same i have a pet peeve where i hate seeing people's stereos and every component is a differnet brand

i have all sony for the stereo comonents yamaha for the speakers and infinity for the subwoofer i love my system

to think you got all that for 400? is either has to be a no name brand or used (or stolen hehe)
anyway you are correct car audio is ridiclously over priced but there are certain factors involved to justify there prices...somewhat

look at it like this you can go and buy a very good deaktop computer for 700 dollars but for that same 700 you wouldnt even be able to find a laptop and if you did it would not even be comparable performance wise

the reason is the parts in a laptop are made specially for low voltages so they consume considerably less power the same applies for car audio, just think of a single desktop computer part they have to be greatly shrunk down, shrinking down something means the circutry has to be able to do the same thing and there will be less circuits meaning each circuit is more complex just so a circuit or feature will fit into a unit it will have to be concieved in a completley new manner and that takes time research and testing these all equal a lot of money and they pass that right on to the consumer

the same applies to car audio they make units that can directly decode 5.1 or even 6.1 channel channel digital sound a decoder for a home unit alone would be a full sized addition but for car audio that giant component is the size of a micro chip

the other major factor is the more popular something is the cheaper it is sometimes companies will produce and sell something at almost no profit because if they can sell 1 million of them at only 1 dollar profit thats 1 million dollars in there pockets car audio is not as popular as home audio so that also keeps the price up

i agree i have wanted a system for my teg too but 1000 dollars is a lot of money

fortunetley now that i work at best buy that 1000 will only be 600 with my discount so it's not as bad... i hope this helped you understand how it works X

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
the mark up is higher because they cant move the units that there home audio counter parts can you proved my point

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dude, you should really try some punctuations. i always run out of breath reading your posts. lol... good points though. i don't agree with sticking with the same name brand - same with performance parts for cars - it's not the name brand but the design. other than that, good, valid points. things have to be small. things have to last because the stuff is exposed to a whole lot more vibration and temperature. and smaller quantity equates to more mark-up...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My home audio setup I got at Best Buy and it's Sony so it's not used, stolen, no-name, etc. It's one of Sony's "home theater in a box" type packages. Everything came in this big ass box I had to remove my trunk liner so the box would fit and I could close the hatch even with the seats down.

But those are good points about car audio being so compact and having to make more sound with less available power. Maybe that's where the price really comes in, since power is so available at home and the stereo reciever is huge.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Quote: dragontegz on Aug/13/02 dude, you should really try some punctuations. i always run out of breath reading your posts. lol...

you read to yourself outloud? LoL i guess you right so ill just use the - that you used i really can be bothered with punctiation or spelling cause as long as you get my point thats fine

well i guess for car performance parts sticking to brand isn't as important but for audio it mos def is - for example my sony reciever supports a function where it can control my other componets - for even better example when i turn my cd player on it automaticially changes to cd on my my reciever and if i decided to add a jukebox cd player in the future it would control that too - plus the fact i really like sony brand stuff -

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
SurferX on Aug/13/02 said:
My home audio setup I got at Best Buy and it's Sony so it's not used, stolen, no-name, etc.

But those are good points about car audio being so compact and having to make more sound with less available power. Maybe that's where the price really comes in, since power is so available at home and the stereo reciever is huge.
i wasnt trying to bust balls about it being stolen its just thats really cheap

was the stuff you bought all open box?

man i hope your bought the performance service plan on it cause if anything happens to it you get it replaced for free

the other benefit is 2 years from now who know wtf will be on the market so youll get a free upgrade

i regularlly trade my stuff in when new models come out

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
proprietary gimmicks... you gotta hand it to those marketing people... lol. i guess if you're concerned with comfort and convenience as well as compatibility of those functions aforementioned, it definitely makes sense to stick with one name brand. if your sole concern is the performance, it would make more sense to mix and match only the best product in each category.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
kingkash420 on Aug/13/02 said:
you read to yourself outloud? LoL i guess you right so ill just use the - that you used i really can be bothered with punctiation or spelling cause as long as you get my point thats fine
you're damn right. i'm still hooked on phonics!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The profit margin on car audio products is huge. There is normally a mark up of 50% or higher on amps, decks, speakers, and subs. Now when you get to accessories for these items you normally see a 90% mark up. My harness kit for my teg normally would cost 24.99 retail, but since I also work at a bby it only cost me 1.45AS you can see the markup on these items are grossly high.
When you are talking about a 400 home theater system, the average margin for these guys are around 10-20%, but mostly near the 10% point.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
that is also correct but its part of my point the reason the makrup is so high is the can deal in the same numbers that the Home Theater guys can

i must admitt though that the discount is loveley when it comes to car fi

btw hawk what store number are you and what department do you work in?

were 388 i work in pcho

1 - 12 of 12 Posts