Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I recently bought a 94 LS, and one weird thing I noticed is the temperature gauge doesnt move much at all. Even after driving for hours it's still slightly above C. When I'm in a traffic jam, or idling for long periods the temp gauge moves up to what I think should be normal like almost halfway. I recently did a coolant flush, and other various tune up stuff but no beans, still same problem. It's freekin cold out and I just want more heat. Is this a common problem? Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
my car does the same thing but i think its normal if not ummmm that sux but my temp gauge never made it half way or above

·
Registered
313 Posts
do you have to drain the radiator in order to change the thermostat? I recently just replaced the coolant and don't want to change it already unless i really have to in order to replace the thermostat cause I seem to be having the same problem with the temp gauge but not as bad.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just recently had this problem but it's been very cold for the past 2 weeks so I figured it was that. I only do short distance driving, but the heat works fine. The temp gauge only goes to about 1/4 if not less.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
replace your thermostat.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Whoa everybody!

I don't think it's his thermostat.

I currently experience the same thing you do, JohnnyRed. If I'm driving on the highway, my temp gauge reads just above the cold mark, but go slower, idle, or spend more time in traffic and the temp comes up to normal. Why is this happening?...

B/c it's winter! going down the highway lets large amounts of cold winter air pass over the radiator, keeping the coolant cooler that it would at other times of the year.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
pythonscott on Feb/01/04 said:
Whoa everybody!

I currently experience the same thing you do, JohnnyRed. If I'm driving on the highway, my temp gauge reads just above the cold mark, but go slower, idle, or spend more time in traffic and the temp comes up to normal. Why is this happening?...

B/c it's winter! going down the highway lets large amounts of cold winter air pass over the radiator, keeping the coolant cooler that it would at other times of the year.
I'm not telling you that you are wrong...but, that doesn't happen to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whoa everybody!

The temperature gauge should not move that much,
even if it is very cold out. 99.9% chance you need
a new thermosat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had this problem before. Change the thermostat. I used a 180 for winter because I don't like to be cold. It is understandable that because it is winter that the car will run cooler while on the highway, but the problem is pointing at the thermostat... Don't forget to change the gasket!!!

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Whoa everybody!

Sorry, but that's wrong, it IS THE THERMOSTATE, i had it stuck half open, and it goes down on highway, and goes up when i go slower. Now i replaced my Thermostat, it stays at the normal temperature (45% of the reading mark) all the time, constant, not moving, regardless of -40c (with windshield factor) or -5c nice weather.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
MLu1 on Feb/01/04 said:
mines never reached anywhere near half way
Coolant, thermostat, radiator, pump, can be any of those.
But, is any of these fail, it will be overheating: coolant, radiator, pump.

If you are still using the stock thermostat, 90% i'd say is thermostat, cos OEM ones will remain open when it fail, while other cheap ones might not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts