Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though its long please read!

i had to abandon my car in a different city i cant trust... this is what happened. i was racing my friend with his supercharged solara SLE V6 and i guess i was getting too excited becasue i was hanging with him that i went a LITTLE over redline that my car over heated! so i pulled over on the street in southern cali irvine. i popped the hood and it was steaming from the radiator. so we checked the radiator bin to see that there was no radiator anti-freeze anymore. so my friend went to go buy anti-freeze for me. then i put the whole anti-freeze into the radiator (not the bin). but then after i drove off, the left side temperature gauge kept going back and forth from middle to hot. so i leave my car at a local friends house for around 5 hours. then i tried to drive back home with it, but soon it keeps getting over heated, i pull over from the freeway and i pop the radiator cap and all this water gushes out and its steaming again! omg i dont know what to do to so i leave at a residential area where i dont really trust to wait till toamrrow since its so late. so the first place i think about for getting help is TEAM-INTEGRA. i dont know where else to turn to, so any person well informed about this please help me if you can. im in desperate need.

anyone at ALL, please help!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
you are supposed to mix the anti freeze half water half anti freeze. Distilled water at that. You might have cracked something so your radiator might be leaking or something along those lines, thats all I can think of.

·
Registered
684 Posts
JUST PRAY THAT UR CYLINDERHEAD OR UR ENGINE BLOCK HAVENT BEEN DAMAGE YET!!!!!LETS CoNTEMPLATE oN OUR CO-TI MEMBER!!!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Actually I changed the title, and I didn't lock it. What in the world is going on, a mod didn't lock a thread?? That can be right?
j/k you guys.

I deleted your posts, because as much as they explain what you do (and i don't think it is wrong) they have nothing to do with radiator troubles and it comes off as half a page of fighting. Sorry justin, if you want you can post a thread about it in the pit area. It's on topic so it won't be locked.

Anyways, if the coolant catch can is empty (sounds like what you ment by the radiator bin) coolant needs to go into the catch can not into the radiator itself. You might have overfilled your radiator, which could be one of the problems. Inspect the radiator for leaks, I guess it is possible that you boiled some of your coolant, or it could have just been low. I wouldn't drive it if it shows any signs of overheating.. as stated above it can cause serious internal damage!

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
lMlElNaCe-GsR on Aug/18/02 said:
I pop the radiator cap and all this water gushes out
by the way this is normal, thats why your not supposed to take off the cap when the car is hot, there's a good amout of built up pressure in there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
never open the radiator cap when its hot. there is too much pressure and all the water will spray out and burn you i know a guy who's face is all burned from opening up a radiator cap.

and for filling it up with staight coolant its not a good idea it makes your car overheat you have to mix it with water.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
The thermostat coulda decided to give out. one of the reasons it could be overheating.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Dude, that was pretty dumb to try to drive the car while it was hot. The next time your coolant disapears, figure out why it's disapearing before you just refill it and drive off. Not a smart move, dude. It's clear to me that you've overheated the engine and probably caused some damange. The damage may not be showing right now, but I'm sure sometime down the line you'll be having issues.
Your first move should be to figure out what's leaking. If it's the radiator, replace it - don't waste your time with the liquid sealing stuff.
The one thing you should never screw around with is an overheating engine. Very serious stuff; heat totally kills engines, dead.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. i hope nothing serious happened to my car. im going to go see it in a few hours. someone mentioned there might be internal damage that i might not notice. is the chances of that high? what else should i look for before i drive it again?

StyleTEG on Aug/18/02 said:
I deleted your posts, because as much as they explain what you do (and i don't think it is wrong) they have nothing to do with radiator troubles and it comes off as half a page of fighting. Sorry justin, if you want you can post a thread about it in the pit area. It's on topic so it won't be locked.
what were they talking about?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
it would be very high if you drove it while the needle was in the red. but get it checked out. Take plenty of water and coolant with you.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
t3rr0r1s7 on Aug/23/02 said:
haha, i live in irvine, thats like the safest city u could leave ur car in.
yea i thought that too... but i went into like the only place in irvine thats ghetto. it was going north on 5 off tustin ranch road and making a right then the first left. if you keep going theres a really ghetto area. all the houses around that street are really nice but i ended up there somehow lol.

well sorry i didnt follow up this post i just saw it on the main page. there was a acura dealership right next to the place i left it at (stupid me) and left it there over night again. they test drove it for 36 miles (they must've played with it) and said there was no over heating at all. i was really confused, how can it just fix itself?, but oddly enough i went to go pick it up and drove it home without any problems. damn honda engines are SO reliable it fixes itself man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
when my car ovrheated which i turn off really fast when i saw the needle to go up it mest up my tread on my engine block and the head came off i guess my needle wasnt working so iam getting an aftermarket one. check your oil cap under it if u see like a chocolate color in it you probably need to take it to the mechanic and have the head resurface and make sure the bolts and the tread didnt got mest up. and good luck

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Keep an eye on it. If the thermostat is going it could be intermittant. Good news is that if its the thermostat that is an inexpensive fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts