Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I got a new Alpine head unit, 7874, and I got it cause with it the stock cd changer works and it has RCA out for the sub. Ok everything was fine until now.

After like 15 min of playin the system the amp doesn work, and then I noticed that the antena won't come out when the radio is on. But if I turn the head unit off then on in 5 min, the antena goes up to mid point then goes back in. And the amp is only on when the antena work.

the connections are all secure and the remote wires are all connected. It seems as if after a long break it works for about 15 min, what should I do?

What is going on, is it a faulty head unit?

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the remot wires are connected, the blue with white stripe is connected to the amp, and the solid blue to the harness adapter.

I dont know what to do, cause the 7 day exchange policy is gonna run out soon. And the guy at the store said he's gonna hook it up and chek if it works, but it works fine for the first 20 min or so.

Thanks for tha fast reply Z.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
u guys think it's some kinda power shortage after a while that maybe a relay can fix?

I dunno much about how head units work so I'm just trying to figure why it would work sometimes when cool and thats it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Teg.z antenaz are notorious for breaking, i just disconnected mine, but mine stopped moving FAR before i got my system...Acura will fix it, but for a PRETTY penny! does ur amp have a built in fan? or do u have one, my friend owns his own sound system place and says alot of times if it doesnt have a fan it causes all that like subs and suff to not work properly.. :eek:)

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no cause the amp worked fine with the old unit, and never over heats, so its either the head unit or something with wiring, and its not the antena, its the fact that the antena isnt getting the proper commands.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I called Apline, and they said that something is trigering the internal amp, that is located somehwere in the car. Anyone knows where the stock amp is located in a '95 LS, I have to cut power to it.

thanks

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thats what the apline guy said, he said there is one hidden, not built into the head unit. He also said alpine made head units for my car, but I told him my stock one was a pioneer.

now i dont know what to do.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
the alpine guy is dead wrong... he was just trying to get you off the phone.... Integras dont have stock amplifiers

my bet is that the antenna and amp remote input is too much draw for that skimpy remote wire... you may have to use a relay...

SPST type:
Pin 85 to ground
Pin 87 and 30 to 12v (with 5 amp fuse on it)
Pint 86 to remote off the radio

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting idea morning, thats what I thought.

thanks, I'm gonna call that guy up.

do u need a ground on that relay? cause wouldnt that make it 4 pins?

thanks

I just called and the service dep. is closed, oh well I'll call again tom.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
pin 85 gets ground (you need to make a complete circuit to get the relay to flip over) ..... you wont use the fifth pin (labeled 87a)

btw, i also have an alpine deck (CVA-1005) and when i did my system, i went right for the relay, i have run across this issue on more than one occasion over my travels

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i would need an inline 5 amp fuse right?

thanks Z, u might be right on this one, when u ran into this prob, were the symptoms similar?

and do I add the relay to the solid blue or the blue with white wire.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, I exchanged the head unit, and it wasnt the head unit, I found my problem.

when I wired up the power antena without the amp wires up everything workes as soon as I connected the amp remote wire it started to act funny again. I would connect the remote for the amp and the antena would start going down then when I let go it went up.

so something is wrong with the remote wire that is running to the amp? any ideas, I was thinking it got pinched and is grounded, and is causing the safty feature in the head unit to shut the 12V power to it and the antena. And another thing is I cheked the blue w/white wire and it gives out a constant 12V source.

would a relay still work? or is this something else?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts