Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry to keep bothering you all with dumb questions, but I'm trying to do my tune-up and I can't get the screw out of the side of the rotor. I can get to the screw but the dang thing won't budge...any secret trick to this seemingly simple task?

(94 'Teg GSR)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
get a bigger screw driver to get more torque on the head. if the head strips on ya, you are gonna have to drill it out... that's no fun so be carful. If all else fails... throw something heavy at your shop dog.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My screw is stripped. How safe is it to drill out? Am I going to risk damaging the threads? Are the metal shavings left over going to cause problems or will they just fall out over time? Should I just drill it out normally or should I attempt to use one of those "EZ-Outs"?

Has anyone here actually drilled that screw out before?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking about the rotor in the distributor, and it's not a hex screw, but a phillips....will an impact driver work on that? Or would I risk damaging the distributor? My biggest screwdriver isn't working, and it has slipped a few times, I don't want it to strip out, so I need another plan besides a regular screwdriver.

·
Registered
188 Posts
it is a ***** to get that screw off because of the angle you are at, therefore it is recommended to take the whole distributor off to get a better angle on that screw. Trust me, I just did my tune up and this is the easiest way.

·
Registered
685 Posts
get this...I just changed my distributor rotor tonight and there was no screw...I was like wtf? I placed the new one on the same way and put on the new cap...works just fine...I will ask the mechanics at the dealership if it really matters? the car has been running great by the way...

take it to a mechanic...you don't want to break anything

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're supposed to take the whole distributor out to get that screw off?!??!? That sounds like WAY more work than I am interested in right now...sounds like a job for someone who knows what they're doing!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
You're supposed to take the whole distributor out to get that screw off?!??!? That sounds like WAY more work than I am interested in right now...sounds like a job for someone who knows what they're doing!
You don't have too. But if you don't have the right sized screwdriver it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I used a really short screwdriver with a large head. No probables removing mine several times, or liebernoodles.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Small tap to put pressure on the screw, then slightly tighten to break the seal. It should come of pretty easy after that!

When you go to take the actual rotor off, use two fingers (both hands) and grab it from either ridges of the rotor and SLOWLY apply pressure back and forth until it works it's way off. This can take a while sometime but at least you won't break it off and have nothing to grab onto to remove it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Taking off the distributor is not too hard. Just three screws takes the whole distributor off. It will make your job a whole lot easier. Or you can continue to hammer away at that screw without success.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DC2NING, is it really that easy? Just take three screw out and it all slides out? Do I have to worry about any kind of alignment putting it back in, or will it only fit one way? I'd hate to get it out and not be able to put it back. Are there any gaskets or seals that need to be replaced if you take it out and put it back in again?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You will have to set your timing if you pull the distributor out and put it back in. Or, you can be lazy and mark the location before you take it out, then rotate it so it lines up when you reinstall it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Three screws and the distributor will slide out. No gaskets or seals to worry about. Well, of course remember how u took the distributor out and just replace it the same way you took it out. There is a line on the distributor where it lines up with the cam shaft for reference in putting back the distributor, I believe. Gotta look at my Helms manual for that specific answer.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Hey, how do you get that electrical connector to come apart? The 3 bolts are cake, but I can't get the connector to come undone.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
wow... my mistake... forget about my first post... i though you were talking about the brake rotor.
i was wondering why you were including a brake job in your tune up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I always break the plastic rotor off with pilers. This leaves a metal part (with screw) on top of the distributor shaft. Then I take vise grips and start the screw out. Every Honda (Integra/Prelude) rotor I've ever bought came with a new screw, so I assume that this is a well known issue.

--Tony

·
Registered
188 Posts
There should be a tab on the plastic connector where you can hold down and then just pull the two plastic piece in the opposite direction. It should come right off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts