Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM having a really hard time removing the bolt on the bottom of my oil pan,and i dont wanna try too hard becuz i dont want to strip the bolt.. what should i do????

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Have a ratchet set?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about stripping it using a socket wrench/ratchet. If you are having trouble taking it off get a small metal pipe at Home Depot that you can slide over the handle to add length and get better leverage.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
We talked about this before surfer...they put those things and the filter on waaaaay too tight at those dealerships/garages. I had a biatch of a time getting it off the first time I changed my oil. The previous owner took it to the garage to get it changed...at least she got it changed for the first 34K...

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Dude I had the same problem, my bolt just wouldnt come off. You have a few routes to go first being go to home depot or something like that and get some vice grip pliers, thats what I did, itll get it off but youll need to get another bolt. You could try a modified version of wd-40 before going the extreme method above. My friend found one that cuts through styrafoam cups and it gets off any bolts, unfortunatly this was after my experience with the vice grip pliers. Also if you know some one with air tools this would do it. If you do get the bolt off, go get a fram sure drain kit, youll never have to worry about that ever again so easy so good and its only $12.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Oh man if someone tightens my oil filter too much I'm done for haha. I guess no one knows what those numbers on the OEM Honda oil filters mean do they? No one touches my car's oil but me.

Even still that foot long metal pipe extension I can slip over my socket wrench saves me every time. I always have to use it at least once whenever I work on my car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats what my boyfriend told me to do also..on teh articles thing it says the bolt is 14mm .. Mine sure as hell isnt 14mm its more like 18 ..why is that??

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It's strange but I think they used different size drain plug bolts on the different model and year Integras. The drain bolt on my Type R is is 17mm while my previous Integra LS had a 14mm drain bolt.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Could be. Mine has a 14mm head also. It's just on there too tight. Use a cheater pipe on the ratchet. Good luck. If not. Use an impact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts