Team Integra Forums banner

Cant down shift to 3rd

672 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NjTeg421 
#1 ·
I have a question... my car when I got it it would go smooth from 1st to 5th.... but if I tried down shifting back to third the opposite way it wouldnt let me... is that suppose to happen? I am getting clutch redone and I pick up the car today.. I was wondering if that would solve it or maybe a tranny prob?

#4 ·
AFAIK, hard driving/shifting wears the syncros. But worn syncros usually lead to grinding when shifting, not blocking the shift. Something out of place could cause that, my old Toyota truck was shifted into reverse one day and couldn't get back out. It was a worn/bad shifter linkage bushing ($.75 for the part $500 to get to it!).

I know a cure for grinding while shifting, but not blocking.

#5 ·
synchro go boom! Third gear synchro usually goes first in our trannys. NOthing you can do really except get it replaced via a disassembly and rebuild, or find another tranny somewhere. Either way it'll cost ya, but it has to be fixed

#6 ·
jeremywitt on Jan/23/06 said:
AFAIK, hard driving/shifting wears the syncros. But worn syncros usually lead to grinding when shifting, not blocking the shift. Something out of place could cause that, my old Toyota truck was shifted into reverse one day and couldn't get back out. It was a worn/bad shifter linkage bushing ($.75 for the part $500 to get to it!).

I know a cure for grinding while shifting, but not blocking.
whats the cure for grinding? cuz mine grinds when i put it to 1st and 2nd?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.